The Mission

Alex

It was finally morning and Alex was awoken by the sunlight streaming through the curtains, painting an orange glow on the white walls.

She squinted groggily, rolling over to look at the clock on her bedside table: 09:37.

Ugh.

Sluggishly, she rolled out of bed, flopping herself on the floor — she really hated mornings.

As she slowly pulled herself up, she turned to look at the multiple bags of clothes beside her bed, smiling; she'd almost forgotten how much her and Nat (and Thor) had bought.

Feeling slightly more awake, she excitedly threw on a pair of blue jeans and a pretty white top, hopping intro the bathroom to brush her teeth.

Once she was dressed and looking mildly presentable, she left her room, trudging down the stairs just like she would any normal morning.

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

As she casually walked into the lounge, she was surprised to see a new figure amongst her family.

Slightly nervously, she sat down beside Steve, who smiled warmly at her, wrapping an arm around her shoulders.

"Morning, Squirt."
Tony greeted, lounging on the couch opposite. "Nice of you to join us, missy."
He teased, winking playfully at the little girl.

Alex smiled back hesitantly, still wary of the stranger in the room.

She watched as he leaned forward from where he sat, his hand outstretched to shake hers; he was quite tall, bald, and wearing a strange black trench coat, but despite all this, the strangest thing about him was the black eyepatch he wore over his left eye — almost like he had been attacked by something.

Cautiously, Alex shook his hand as he spoke.
"You must be Alex." He began, looking at the little girl, his face blank, completely unreadable.

She nodded uneasily, waiting expectantly for him to introduce himself.
"You can call me Director Fury. I... work with the Avengers."
He explained, releasing her hand from his firm grip and lowering himself back into his seat.

As Alex processed this information, Natasha spoke up.
"Why are you here though?"
She asked, turning the subject back to the matter at hand. "What do you need to tell us that's so important you can't just give us a call like usual?"
She asked, folding her arms as she stared intently at the director.

He sighed.
"We have a mission."
He began, clasping his hands as he leaned forwards. "Somethings from places other than Earth, have, somehow, been breaking through Earth's atmosphere, portals have been tearing through thin air and creatures have been rampaging out, wreaking havoc everywhere."

Steve scowled, his arm around Alex tightening protectively.
"Do we know what these things are?"
He asked, his eyebrows knit in thought as he simply stared at the coffee table ahead.

"Some of our best scientists have managed to take samples from those we have already eliminated, but it's nothing we've seen before — and they're gonna keep coming, whether we find out what they are or not."
Fury replied matter of factly.

"So you're telling us that these 'creatures', which are unknown to us, are 'somehow', without us knowing, entering Earth and you want us to stop them?"
Tony asked in confusion.

He took a breath. "So in short, you want us to stop a bunch of weird alien things that we know nothing about from taking over the planet."
He confirmed, staring at the director.