A New Room Too?

Alex

Her mouth practically gaping open in shock and disbelief, Alex simply stared, fruitlessly, into the distance, her brain buzzing excitedly; she couldn't believe that for once the tables had turned in her life for the better, that for once she was going to have a home, a family... a real family.

It all just seemed so... unreal.

She wasn't alone anymore.

After the initial shock, she remembered simply running towards Steve and wrapping her little arms around him, blinded by her joy.
She remembered him slowly returning the hug, and that feeling she felt, that feeling of being loved for once...

Once they had broken apart, Alex had slowly sat back down beside Loki, her eyes still misty with tears of joy as she simply gazed into thin air thinking about how her life was about to change.

Smiling softly at the little girl, frozen in her thoughts, the god of mischief gently wrapped his arm around her shoulders and pulled her close as she came to lean against him, comfortable and content.

For quite a while, Alex was silent, unsure of what to do with herself as the rest of the Avengers shared their own private, hushed discussions.

From where she sat, she watched Steve and Tony in curiosity as they mumbled quietly amongst themselves, occasionally turning to glance back at her.
She didn't mind though, the young child simply snuggled closer to Loki, her thoughts wandering to other topics: would she get to spend the rest of her life with the Avengers?
Would she be able to fight and save the world just like them?
Would she even tell them about how she wasn't normal — how she was weird, a freak daughter of a god?

All of a sudden, her cruel brain brought another idea to mind, once she had been trying to push away ever since the first time she woke up here: if they found out about who and what she really was, would they even want her around them?

Her smile faded as her face became sad and sullen, knowing that she couldn't allow herself to feel too hopeful, she couldn't make that mistake again.
Any minute they could drop a bomb and ask about her parentage again, perhaps more forcefully... and then it would all be over.
Just like that, she would lose everything as quickly as she found it.

She could almost hear the ticking of that bomb already...

Suddenly, Tony turned and called out to her, dragging her out of the painful thought of her seemingly depressing future.
"You know what kiddo, Steve and I have been talking and, if you're gonna live with us and all, it's only fair that we give you your own bedroom and other... weird stuff that kids like."

Alex blinked in surprise, her mouth widening as she gasped at the billionaire.
Yet again, she was gobsmacked at how lucky she was; having been so caught up and ecstatic about having a family and a home, she had forgotten about all the other privileges that came with having a house to live in.

Cautiously, she looked up to see Tony, smirking playfully at her reaction; a smile grew on her face as well — maybe, just maybe, it would be okay to stay happy, just for a while.
It couldn't hurt to make the most of what she was being given, especially before...

Alex vigorously shook her head at herself, refusing to fall back into the dark, gloomy abyss of her mind.

No. She scolded herself. I won't think like that.

Her head snapped back up as Tony rose from his seat, awaiting Alex's reply.
"So, do you want to come help me find you one then, or d'you just want to sleep on the couch?" He asked sarcastically, turning to look down at the little girl.