Waking up

Just a quick A/N to say thank you so much to the readers and voters and commenters of this book! It really makes me happy so thank you for making my very dull days just that bit brighter! ❤️

Alex

Alex woke up in a strange room, with blinding lights around her, the walls surrounding her painted plain white. She shifted slightly, her body ached with pain, longing for more rest, but surprisingly, she was actually somewhere comfortable: she was on a bed — it had been a long time since she's slept in one of those.

Groggily, she opened her eyes before immediately squinting from the harsh lighting.
Why was it so bright?
She lifted a shaky hand to shield her eyes, rubbing them sleepily.

Then she heard voices.
She snapped to attention, her boy tensing as she put her hands down, her still half-asleep brain trying to (unsuccessfully) focus on when was being said.
There were people in this room too, talking — she couldn't quite tell what they were discussing, but by the sounds of their voices, they were definitely adults. She suddenly felt fear course through her veins — throughout her entire life, adults meant one word: trouble.

Suddenly, her memories came flooding back to her. She had been running from someone, and they had caught her, she remembered that feeling of hope she had felt when he said she was safe, like she wouldn't be hurt again...

Anxiously, she studied the room a bit more from where she lay, the people in the room having not taken any notice of her yet.

Oh no.

There were shelves filled with bottles and equipment, little needles and things that looked weapons used as a form of torture; Alex's heart raced.
Where was she?
Were these people going to do the same thing as the last people did?

She jolted her head up quickly in fear — not a good idea.
Her breathing rapidly increasing, she gasped as the blood all rushed to her head, causing her vision to become slightly fuzzy, everything taking a slight tint of purple.
Despite this, she could still make out the blurry outlines of three people in the corner of the room crowded around some sort of machinery.

Slowly, she shifted herself upright trying to be quiet; she didn't care if it made her feel sick, she had to get out of there — she couldn't let them do what the other people had last time.
But, of course, it was just her luck to have the creakiest bed in history that groaned obnoxiously under her weight.

She watched in horror as three heads turned towards the sound of her sitting up.

Uh oh — so much for keeping quiet.

One of the men strode towards her, his face soft and gentle. His eyes twinkled with kindness and concern as he cautiously approached her, not in a vicious manner or in any way the Alex would have expected.

She shook her head vigorously, refusing to allow the potential thought of this man actually being a good person to enter her mind.
This is how they all start, remember?
She said to herself.
All nice and friendly until BAM they're hurting you all over again.

She inspected the man's face; she recognised him as the man who had carried her from last night — he had seemed nice...

Slowly, he sat down beside her and studied her face; he smiled gently.
"Hey. You all right?" His voice was kind and soothing, Alex had never had someone talk to her like that before, she wasn't quite sure how to respond — or whether she should respond.
Don't reply, keep your guard up, don't reply, keep your guard up.
She repeated over and over again in her head.

Instead of replying she glanced down at herself.

Big mistake.

Much to her own horror, she stared, terrified, the tubes sticking out from her arms and the syringes and other needles on the tray next to her.
She began to panic, thrashing around and breathing heavily as her heart rate increased drastically by the minute.
Desperately, she leaned forwards trying to stand up, but was pulled back harshly by the multiple wires attached to her.
She cried out in fear and frustration, tugging at the wires until a sharp pain in her wrist caused her to stop.
Her eyes widened in horror as she desperately tried to yank out the tubes, wincing in pain as they squirmed inside her arms, blood oozing out from the slight damage.