A New Family

Steve

Steve watched intently as Alex hurried out the room after Tony, his eyes fixed on the little girl until she was no longer in his sight.

After the two left, they all simply sat there, engulfed in the silence as the reality of the decision they had made settled in: they were going to have their own kid, to look after, to feed and to keep safe at all costs — could they really handle that responsibility?

Seven adults taking care of one child, that doesn't sound hard, right? But hen again, when you add the deadly aliens and robots with murderous intentions and the fact that those seven adults were the almighty heroes and protectors of Earth to the mix, it began seeming more and more like a risky move.

Steve sighed as he rested his head in his hand, all the thoughts whirring aimlessly through his head felt like a migraine as he was overwhelmed with fears and stress.
They were taking Alex in to keep her safe... but what if, in doing so, they were exposing her to more danger than any of them realised?
What if, unmeaningly, they were putting her, vulnerable, in the line of fire — what if she got hurt because of them?

He tensed at that idea, shaking his head as he snapped himself out of such dark thoughts.
No. They wouldn't let that happen. She would be kept safe at all costs, no matter what.

Just as Steve relaxed, trying to reassure himself that everything would be alright, another bugging thought came to his attention.
What about her real father? This... god? Who was he — and most importantly, did he pose as a threat to Alex or Earth itself?

Steve sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose in stress. This was all just too much, he should just relax, everything was going to be okay...

Slowly, he raised his head from where it had rested in his hand, his eyes scanning the room. He felt a stab of guilt as he looked around his friends, he had been keeping secrets from them, and he didn't like it...
Only Thor, Bruce, Loki and himself knew about Alex's mysterious parentage, but was it worth telling the rest of them? Especially at the risk of them supposing that Alex may be a threat?

Steve groaned in frustration as he willed his mind to make a decision — why did he always have to make things seem so much more complicated?

Nervously, he cleared his throat, watching as the heads of his colleagues all turned to face him.
"So, um, guys, there's something I..." he caught Thor's eye, "we've been meaning to talk to you about — regarding Alex." He took a steadying breath as everyone leaned forwards, eager to hear what he had to say.
Guiltily, Steve turned to Natasha. "Nat, I lied to you," she glared at him, but stayed silent, "and yes I know I was wrong, and I'm sorry. I just..." he sighed, rubbing his temples. "I didn't know what to do about it..."

Before he could continue confessing, Clint interjected.
"Hold up, hold up. Before you actually tell us the truth about... whatever it is you're trying to say, what did you say to Nat?" He asked, folding his arms as he leant back in his seat.

Steve, however, didn't have the chance to reply as Natasha butted in, answering for him.
"When you told me both her parents were dead, that was a lie, wasn't it?" She asked, staring at Steve, her face blank and expressionless.

Slowly, he nodded his head.
"I suppose... you could call it a half lie. Her mother, Samantha Evans, did pass away when Alex was born, but... her father is still alive." he trailed off.