Chapter 35

-- -------- --

Eva P.O.V.

"Paige?" I call softly.

No answer.

Trinity sighs and bangs on the door loudly.

"Paige!" she sighs, "Please tell us you're okay.

No answer.

It's useless. We've been at this for hours, sitting outside the big cabin and trying to coax Paige out. After the banana boating incident, Cash and Paige had a private chat. I thought this was going to be the big break in their relationship but Cash returned first, looking thunderous. He wouldn't answer any questions and shut himself in his tent. Paige returned an hour later, looking sad and defeated. She brushed off our concerns and locked herself in the cabin.

Now, three hours later, here we are.

"Paige?" Trinity whispers softly, "we're not leaving until you come out."

"C'mon Paige!" Lauren whines, "We're starving!"

"Go away!" Paige's muffled voice comes through the door.

At least she's acknowledging our presence. That's always a plus, right?

"We're not leaving until you come out!" Brookes hisses.

"Well stay then." Paige says hollowly.

"Paige we need to talk." I say tiredly, "Please. We're your friends. We care.

There is silence at the other end and ever so slowly, the door clicks open. Paige is standing at the door, her face red and blotchy. She looks so tired.

"I'll talk to Eva." She says quietly.

Lauren, Brooke, Trinity and I exchange look and I step into the cabin. Paige slams the door and bolts it shut. That's when she starts sobbing uncontrollably.

"What's wrong?" I ask as I go to sit by her side.

"I'm a monster." She sobs loudly, "I'm turning into Sarah."

"No you're not." I hug her and try to comfort her, but it doesn't work.

I can feel her tears running down my shirt and her posture is stiff and rigid, not hugging me back.

"I pushed her." She says remorsefully, "I could have killed her."

"But you didn't." I say firmly, "She's alive and as annoying as ever."

This is my lame attempt to make her laugh but it doesn't work. She just stares at me with sorrowful eyes.

"Look Paige," I sigh, "We all make mistakes. I don't know what happened between you three but a word of advice, be the bigger man and sort it out."

"How?" Paige asks, burying her face in her hands, "I did terrible things! I said terrible things! Cash hates me now and he's going to date Sarah anyway! My best shot is to avoid both of them."

"Paige..." I say cautiously, "I don't think he hates you. I think he just doesn't like you very much at the moment, but he won't get over it unless you talk to him."

"No." Paige hisses, wiping her eyes roughly, "NO."

"Paige—"

Paige jumps up and pushes me away. Even though it didn't hurt me physically, it stung. Her blazing glare filled with hatred.

"LEAVE ME ALONE!" Paige screams, "LEAVE ME ALONE!"

That shocks me. Don't get angry, I tell myself, she's angry and hurting.

"Paige," I say calmly, "I know you're—"

"NO YOU DON'T!" Paige weeps, "YOU HAVE NO IDEA! YOU JUST GOT THE GUY OF YOUR DREAMS IN A DAY. DON'T YOU DARE SAY YOU UNDERSTAND! YOU— you... y-you BITCH."

My blood runs cold and my empathy starts to seep out of my body.

"You didn't mean that." I say.

"YES I DID."

"Take. It. back."

"NO."

"Paige? Eva? Everything alright?"

"YOU'RE STUCK UP AND COMPLETELY..."

But I don't hear the rest because I spin around angrily and march out of the cabin. Paige is an unreasonably angry brat. I don't care if she's sad and hysterical. She knew it wasn't my fault and still turned it all at me. Lauren rushes over as I slam close the door.

"Eva!" She huffs, "What happened—"

I push past her and stomp towards my tent. Trinity and Brooke get the message and don't try to follow me. I see Cash brooding under a tree and I can't help myself.

"Cash!"

He looks up in surprise and doesn't try to mask his annoyance.

"You're an asshole!" I yell.

I turn around and continue my walk, not waiting for his response. I don't care about it. Paige can thank me later. That is, if she stops being an ungrateful little brat, I think bitterly.

Sebastian's spray tanning the guide's new buggy and waves at me.

"Hey Eva!" He calls out cheerfully, "Wanna help me? I'll go faster with two people."

I think about it. There's nothing else to do anyway. Sebastian is always so oblivious to everything and doesn't judge.

"Yeah, why not." I sigh and head over to him.

I don't question why he is doing it. If I've learnt anything today, it's that some things are best left unsaid.

"Great! That's so nice of you! I ask Maverick but for some reason he laughed at me... no! Don't use that one. It's the dodgy brand. It could streak. Here, let me teach you..."