Chapter 34

She looks at me steadily and shakes me off carelessly.

-- -------- --

Paige P.O.V

Some would say it's a miracle that Sarah made it without being eaten. I say it's because the heap of make up she wore poisoned the fish. Either way, I'm disappointed. We all make it back to shore unscathed, but I wish I could say the same for the deflated banana boats still floating around the deep end.

As soon and we unboard the speedboat, Sarah is whisked away to see the nurse and Cash grabs me aside, his eyes displaying anger. You don't care, I tell myself evenly, he made his choice and you made yours.

"What is wrong with you?" he hisses.

"Nothing."

"You pushed Sarah off the boat?"

"She provoked me."

"She could have died!"

"That'll be sad. I don't have a black dress to wear so I'm glad she didn't."

Cash looks at me in disbelief and runs his hand through his hair.

"Aren't you the littlest bit remorseful?"

I struggle to keep a straight face.

"Yes."

His eyes widen in surprise.

"Yes I'm remorseful she wasn't stung. I should have planned it out better."

Cash is so mad he is starting to turn red. Good. Hopefully he gets the message and leaves me alone. There's not many days of camp left so if we ignore each other until then, I might be able to get over my petty little crush. For some reason, he doesn't give up and it's getting harder and harder to stay cold and distant.

"She could have been seriously injured or died!" he yells, "You could have been arrested!"

"Ok."

"That's manslaughter."

"Don't be so dramatic. She's safe. Stop dwelling on the past."

"Are you kidding me?"

"Nope. Deadly serious."

He glowers at me and takes a step forward. I take a step back.

"You know what? I used to think you were so nice and all innocent." he drawls, laughing humorlessly, "Turns out it was just an act, wasn't it?

When I say nothing, he continues.

"At the start of camp, I thought we'd be best friends. Then, that night when Mychael had a meltdown, you were so scared! I thought to myself, wow, she's so pretty and kind. So different from Sarah."

He pauses to let me speak but my mouth seems to have been glued shut.

"I'm sure someone has told you about Sarah and I." Cash says coolly, "She's my neighbour. Like her for years. She didn't like me back until I became Tik Tok famous, blah, blah blah."

I nod slowly.

"We were on and off. Sarah made time for me between flings and boyfriends, I know that now."

That bitch.

"Well when I first met you, I was still so wound up over Sarah and feeling rejected I was going crazy." he lowers his voice, "You helped me see that I don't need Sarah."

Damn it. Sensitive Paige is back. I feel tears prickling at the back of my eyes. I try to force them down but I'm pretty sure my eyes are red-rimmed and puffy by now.

"Turns out it was all a lie."

He studies me silently for a bit. Daring me to contradict him. I can't. I just can't. I want to but I can't. I want to apologise and make up an excuse but the harsh truth hits me. I did exactly what Sarah would have done. Cash sighs and leaves, but not before saying his parting line.

"For a period of my life, I liked you. Now, I'm not so sure."

I sink down to my knees and wonder what I did so wrong as I watch his figure walk away.