Chapter 17

"Don't worry." I tease, "It's not like I thought you liked me. I don't like you either so we're even."

His face falls and he stops smiling. I have no idea why but the temperature seems to drop ten degrees all of a sudden.

-- -------- --

Eva Trend P.O.V

"I'm hungry!" Brooke yells from the shore, "when can we eat?"

"Wait what are you—"

"She's very forgetful." Noen cuts off the guide.

Brooke shoots Noen a death glare. She grabs a handful of sand and throws it in Noen's direction. Noen seems amused so he spits in her direction. Brooke slams her fist in the brown murky water and she swims curiously towards Noen. Once she gets to the yacht and pulls herself up, she charges herself at Noen. Noen moves away in time, they start wrestling each other. Weird.

"Red tent, your cooking food for lunch." The guide says lazily, "So if you guys could start cooking, that'd be great."

"That's us." I mutter and join our tent group to one corner of the spacious yacht.

Once we were out of earshot, the confessions starts.

"My mum usually cooks lunch." Maverick sighs.

"I can't cook." Cash adds.

"We can't either." Payton and Maverick say in unison. They all turn to look at me.

"Um. Why are you looking at me?" I ask.

"You're a lady. You can cook naturally, right?" Cash ponders.

I back away, accidentally hitting Mychael.

"You can't assume that since I'm a lady I can cook." I cross my arms.

"But can you cook?" Maverick smirks.

"Um... no! I mean... ugh screw it. Yes I can cook." I give up.

"I can cook too." Mychael says from behind which surprises me.

"Then it's settled. You guys can cook. Okay Payton so where are those chocolates....."

Mychael, the rest of the useless tent mates and I unboard the start walking down the rocky pathway back to the big cabin where there's a fairly stocked and clean kitchen waiting for us.

"So." Cash says as soon as we enter, "I have a plan. How about, you too chef cook and we'll taste test this fancy chocolate?"

He holds out a big box of expensive chocolates wrapped up with a gold ribbon. I glare at him and snatch the box of chocolates out of his hands.

"Fine." I seeth, "But no chocolates and you guys owe me."

"Sounds good." Payton says, looking longingly at the box of chocolate in my hands.

They make their way out of the kitchen and we are left alone. After our nice conversation, I would have thought Mychael and I would be good now, but for some reason, he can't seem to look me in the eye. What now?

"So. What are we cooking?" I ask Mychael while I check the pantry.

He shrugs. "Why don't we cook noodles?"

I look back at Mychael.

"There aren't any noodles though." he says doubtfully.

"I know, but there's flour and eggs. I can make noodles." I roll my eyes and take out the large bag of flour, a bit of water and a couple of eggs.

"Fine." He takes out a variety of vegetables and starts chopping them very skillfully.

"Damn boi, Since when did you learn how to cook?" I laugh.

"I took like 3 years of cooking classes from school." He chuckles.

The sour mood seems to have lifted a bit and he is laughing at my jokes.

"So what type of foods can you make?" I ask.

"Damn. I don't even know how many. I can make soup, cupcakes, cake, pie, salad, toast, PB&J, bread, stir-fry, pancakes, spaghetti, steak-"

"Okay I get it. You're actually 'female'. Nah jk. That's a lot for a guy anyway." I roll my eyes and start adding milk and eggs to the flour.

"How much do we need?" I look at the heap of mush before me doubtfully.

"Well," he muses, "We have a bunch of sweaty, hungry, growing boys, some average sized girls and a guide with a whale appetite. How much do we need?"

"Your right. Screw this."

I scoop the dough out of the medium sized bowl and find the biggest mixing bowl I can find. Dumping more flour, water and eggs into the mix, I whisk it altogether and begin to knead it with a rolling pin.

"That's not how you do it." He interrupts my dough kneading.

"I think I know how to make dough," I grab back the rolling pin. "And I can make more dough, no problem."

I start adding more flour to the mixture.

"Your suppose to-" he grabs the flour bag but it rips apart and it explodes all over us.

"Um." I look at myself in the little fridge magnet mirror in horror, I'm covered in flour. I look like a freakin' ghost. Not to mention, the kitchens covered in flour. "Mychael, bad time."

"You weren't doing it right." He replies coolly.

I grab another bag of flour out of the cupboard and I pour it into a separate bowl. I get an impulsive idea and do it.

"THINK FAST!" I throw the bowl into Mychael's face.

I fill another bowl with water as fast as I can and I pour it onto his body. He's soon covered by a sticky substance. He goes to the cupboard and gets out another bag of flour.

"I'm sorry Eva but." He pauses and pours flour onto me before I can register what's going on.

He proceeds to pour water on me. He laughs and applies even more flour to my skin.

"Ok. We're gonna waste all the dough if we continue." I half laugh.

Mychael nods his head and continues to create the broth, bits of flour flaking off his hair and landing in the thick soup everytime he moves. I finally start cutting the dough into thin pieces. All is calm and peaceful, almost like we're finally becoming good friends when the guide walks in on us.

"WHAT IN THE NAME OF JESUS?!?" He screams at us because we've destroyed the kitchen.

There are messes everywhere. Upturned bowls and spoons, dirty and clean, litter the surfaces of the kitchen. Everywhere else is sloppy and wet with water and flour. We must be quite a sight too, covered in white dust.

"You kids are. SO. IRRESPONSIBLE!" The guide flips out, "I let you be alone for 20 minutes and THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS?!"

"I'm sorry." I say to him.

Mychael starts giggling which makes the guide uncomfortable. I can't help but join in and before we know it, we are both rolling around the floor and bending over with laughter. Once backs away and shuts the door. Once he shuts the door, he says;

"You kids keep it PG in there alright?" He runs off and me and Mychael just look at each-other.

We look at each other and start laughing again. It takes a while, but eventually, we stay quiet long enough to recompose ourselves and continue preparing lunch. I start going back to kneading the dough and Mychael goes back to doing whatever was doing.