Chapter 26

"AND USE PROTECTION!" she shouts as I dart out of the office as fast as I can.

-- -------- --

Eva Trend P.O.V

When I reach the waiting area, I was surprised by how many people are here. Payton is pacing up and down, Cash and Paige are talking in hushed voices and Lil Huddy is tapping away on his computer, probably ordering some expensive shoes. As they look up and see me, they rush up and give me the biggest group hug (and crushing my spine in the process).

Everyone was here to make sure I was okay. All but Mychael, who sat rigidly on the plastic waiting chairs, not quite meeting my gaze. That's okay though, because I don't know what else I expected.

"Are you okay?" Trinity asks, concerned.

"Yep fine." I reply.

It still hurts to speak but I'm starting to feel better.

"Did the nurse try to kill you?" Jacob gasps.

"Refrain from asking her questions." The guide cuts in. "She's lost her voice."

People give up asking me questions and crowd around me instead, handing me warm blankets and cups of warm water. Danielle grunts in the corner of the room.

"Is anyone gonna ask if I'M okay?" She makes an angry gesture towards me.

"Are you okay Dani? Are you dying?" Jacob overreacts.

Danielle smiles sweetly at him and replies.

"I'm fine. Get the others to ask me if I'm okay though." Jacob saluts to her and starts shaking everyone.

"Ask if she's fine!" Jacob growls.

"ARE YOU OKAY?" Paige shrieks in fear.

You can tell she's close to crying. Cash glares at Jacob and Danielle. He hugs Paige while she sobs into his shirt. Sarah shoots a jealous look before she starts gossiping with Payton. Weird. Since when did they become friends?

"Talk to the pot plant!" Noen yells, gesturing at the plant in the corner next to Danielle.

"Or the floor!" Brooke chirps.

"I bet they'd care!" Lil Huddy grins, looking up from his laptop.

The three of them howl with laughter at Danielle's furious expression and I can't help but crack a smile.

"Okay, since you kids will need a guide for the way back to camp, I need one volunteer to go with Eva on the buggy." The guide looks around the room. He finally settles on Mychael.

Payton looks disappointed but he offers me a small smile. As people rush around partnering up and trying not to get stuck with Danielle, the guide hands around pieces of paper.

"A schedule?" Trinity says doubtfully as she read the paper, "Since when do we have one?"

"Since Mychael got lost, Sebastian and Eva almost drowned, Brooke got bitten by a snake, Sebastian, again, got stuck up a tree..." the guide drones on and on about all the accidents we've had.

"Okay, okay!" Sebastian cut in, "We get it! I get it! And by the way, me getting stuck in a log was not my fault. Danielle pushed me and I..."

He explains everything in great detail. Great, but boring. I head is still stuffy and can't take in too much information at once. I decide to read the schedule the guide had just pushed into my hand;

7:00: Wake up call

7:00 - 7:40: Preparations and cooking

7:40 - 8:00: Breakfast

8:00 - 8:15: Screen time

8:15 - 12:30: Activity

12:30 - 1:00: Freetime/Lunch Prep.

1:00 - 1:30: Lunch

1:30 - 4:00: Activity

4:00 - 5:00: Freetime

5:00 - 6:00: Dinner Prep/Chores

6:00 - 6:45: Dinner

6:45 - 7:00: Reflection

7:00 - 9:30: Activity/Freetime

10:00: Lights out

"CHORES?!" Danielle asks in horror.

"Reflection?" Maverick seethes, "What are we, ten?"

"My bedtime at home is at nine, so like can I go to bed early?" Jacob asks, "I don't want to disappoint my mum."

"We need more screen time!" Brooke complains.

"I agree!" Zoe screams.

"SILENCE!"

They stop chattering and glare at the guide.

"Good." he smiles, tucking the spare schedules into his backpack, "No complaints, this is your schedule. Anyone who disobeys it can join Jacob in the naughty corner everyday."

Suddenly, everyone smiles at the guide and fakes their happiness. No one wants to be locked in the same room as Jacob for hours.

"Yes!" Jacob says excitedly, "Join me, my friends. Join me!"

"Okay now everyone," The guide looks at he watch, "We've already missed lunch so let's just head back, 'kay?"

People start to disperse and walk out. Lauren pats me sympathetically on the arm and runs after Paige and Trinity. Payton kisses me softly as he passes.

"Bye Eva," he whispers, "I'll see you at camp."

I was about to respond when the guide shoves himself between us rudely.

"My man, we gotta talk about the race car." The guide high fives Payton.

Payton's face instantly lights up and they do an extended version of their handshake, which goes on for 5 whole minutes.

"You guys done?" Sebastian whines.

"Hold it." The guide glares. "We need to do the triple decker hand bump, and then the firecracker nunchuck-"

"ARE YOU DONE?" Danielle shrieks.

She prepares a chair to ram the guide and Payton with. Luckily they stop before they get hurt.

"Fine, we'll do it another time." Payton groans.

"We were only like a ⅛ through it, couldn't you wait?" The guide scoffs.

"I'm sorry." I apologize. "BUT YOUR HANDSHAKE GOES ON FOR 40 MINUTES?"

I lose my cool.

"Actually, 40 minutes and 10 seconds." The guide corrects me.

"SAME THING!" Danielle glares.

"CAN WE JUST MOVE ON?" Cash sighs.

"Sure. Ok Mychael, here's the key to my car. Be very careful. But this buggy isn't just a car to me, it's the love of my life. It's name is Barbara and she's very fragile." The guide strokes his buggy very gently.

We hop in and the guide's still stroking his 'Barbara' very carefully.

"Can we go?" Mychael asks, turning the key.

The engine sputters to life.

"No, I must say my farewells." The guide hugs his buggy sincerely.

"I'll take that as a yes." Mychael presses down on the reverse pedal and he nearly hits a tree.