Chapter 20

"You're a real friend too."

She gives me a tiny grin and walks off.

-- -------- --

Eva Trend P.O.V

"I'm back!" Danielle tries to make a dramatic entrance, but she falls over onto Noen, "hey baby. Nice of you to catch m-"

Noen jumps up and Danielle falls onto the ground. She throws up all over Lil huddy's new Gucci shoes that had just arrived in the mail.

"What are you doing here?" The Lauren's eyebrows narrow at a vomiting Danielle.

"Zoe. Brooke. Sarah." She manages before she purges out another round of vomit.

"Ewwwwwwww." They all scramble to the other side of the campfire and hug each other.

"Get me." she pauses and starts retching again, "a towel."

She coughs. Chunks of chewed up vegetables and meats mixed with mushy noodles do not make a good sight or smell. I turn away quickly and pinch my nostrils together to

"O-okay!" Sarah fetches a tea towel from the kitchens and chucks it onto Danielle face.

"Hey!" The guide complains, "That's my grandma's!"

"T-thanks." Danielle wipes off all her vomit from her face and she stumbles. She sits closest next to the campfire where Sebastian and Lauren are, wrapped in a thick blanket, "Where. Jacob."

"He's in solitary confinement. Shouldn't be violently hitting girls like that. Lucky Eva's not pressing charges." The guide summarizes and shakes his head. "My favourite towel. Made from cashmere and silk."

"It's not all about your towel!" Lil huddy complains, gesturing at his stinky, ruined shoes, "Look at my shoes! I didn't even pay for them."

"Then who paid for it?" Brooke asks.

"The guide." Lil huddy smirks.

"WHAT?" The guide shrieks, "my hard earned money!?"

"Nah it's fine, they were on a $1 discount." Lil huddy reasons, as if that made it okay.

"You think that makes a difference?" The guide balls up his fist. "I don't get paid enough." he mutters under his breath, "Chase Hudson, you will make up for this amount of money!"

"Yeah, yeah sure." Lil Huddy rolls his eyes and throws his shoes filled with vomit onto an inconspicuous Danielle.

"Euhhhh." Danielle squints her eyes and she throws up. Again. Onto Sebastian.

"EW EW EW EW EW EW EW EW EW EW!" Sebastian shrieks like a little girl and runs around the camp. He knocks himself onto a tree again. Somehow. But Danielle isn't finished. She vomits again, over the fire. Extinguishing all the heat and light. We are left in the dark and Trinity, who was wearing shorts and a thin tee, started shivering violently.

"Dani!" We all groan in disappointment. Danielle thinks we're praising her so she winks at us, but stumbles back onto the ground.

"Lets just go back." The guide leads us all back into the tents. Brooke's so invested in avoiding her vomit, she isn't really aware of tripping on Lauren's foot. Brooke trips over and Noen catches her in time.

"Oooh. lovebirds in the making." Maverick smiles. Danielle gets jealous so she vomits onto brooke.

"EW!" Brooke cries. Noen shoots a glare at danielle and helps brooke up. He walks Brooke over to the bathroom and they both exchange awkward looks.

When I get up, the guide gives me a fresh ice pack and tells me to put more cream on. When the guide finishes gossiping to me about his friends (very strange and uncalled for), I brush my teeth, get changed into my pyjamas and climb into my sleeping bag. I shut my eyes as soon as my head hits the pillow but after tossing and turning for what feels like an hour, I can't fall asleep.

The boys are all asleep and snoring. This makes it even harder for me to sleep. I try counting sheep or imagining I'm a cloud, but nothing works. After a few hours, I get tired of the stuffy tent and step outside to admire the stars.

It's so different from this morning. Even though I've spent a good couple of hours milling around the campsite now, I feel like I'm in a whole different place. Every single crevasse I see is silhouetted by the inky darkness of the night. The stars are many, far and small. Too small to provide much light for me too see. The moon is a whole different story. It's big, full and round, casting a silvery glow over areas of the land. I see the blanket Lauren was using on the ground near the dead fire and I spread it across the grass. Laying down, I take a moment to enjoy the quietness of it all.

The numbness from the cold almost makes me forget about the pain. Almost. Just as I was about to doze off, the sound of twigs snapping underfoot roused me. Before I knew it, a face shadowed completely by a tree's silhouette melting into my view.

"You okay?" it asks me, which scares the living hell out of my skin.

"ACK!" I scream.

But it's only Payton, eyes beary and looking extremely rough from sleep. I clamp my hand over my mouth to stop myself from waking the whole world. He regards me silently and sits down next to me.

"What's wrong?" he frowns, rubbing his eyes and looking concerned.

"Nothing. You just startled me." I grin sheepishly.

Stupid idea because this makes my face hurt again.

"Are you okay?" He asks again.

"My face kind of still hurts."

"Wait." Payton runs wobbily to the big cabin.

Minutes tick by and I wonder if he was going to get the guide, but instead, he returns 10 minutes later with an ice pack in his hands.

"Here."

I thank him and hold it on my cheek. The pain instantly subsides and I sigh. He looks at me expectantly and I feel like I should say something.

"Thanks." I whisper lamely.

Wow Eva. Just wow. You aced 'Talking to Boys Class 101'. With merits. Wow. We sit in silence for a little bit, none of us wanting to start the unbelievably awkward conversation. The air buzzes with anticipation and unsaid words flying around us like flies.

"So uh... Eva." He clears his throat and drags a hand through his hair, "Have you thought about it?"

I try not to laugh. He can't even say it.

"About what?" I ask, even though it was more than obvious.

"Um. me. And you." He stutters, which is kinda cute.

For a moment, I quiet. He's kind, thoughtful and funny. Sure, I've only known him for two days, but this isn't marriage. Just peaceful companionship we can break off at any stage. Maybe it was from the intense sugar I was having from the marshmallows I snuck or I wave of gratitude I was having for what he was doing for me. Whatever it was, I say it.

"Let's try it." I grin goofily.

His face lights up.

"Let's start again?" he asks carefully.

"Let's start again." I confirm.

Payton turns his body to face me fully.

"Eva, I like you." he says softly.

"I like you too Payton." I answer.

And then we kiss. A soft peck on the lips to seal the deal. I've kissed guys before. Not many, but enough to know that this kiss was real. And no offence to all those other guys, this one was a lot better.