Chapter 33

That. monster. I stand up emotionlessly and make my way back to my tent, leaving a trail of stunned silence behind.

-- -------- --

Cash P.O.V

The next morning we all gather around the lake while the guide tries to inflate the banana boats. Earlier in the day, the guide commented on how quiet we were being. The only explanation I can think of is that we're all still shocked about what happened between Paige and Sarah.

Breakfast this morning was a chilly affair. Paige was back to being the quiet one and Sarah, surprisingly, wasn't full of gossip. She spent the morning giving Paige evil eyes. Lauren, Trinity and Eva have tried everything to get Paige to talk to them but Paige is isolating herself from everyone. Even though I don't like what she did yesterday, I'm still worried about her.

"6-7 on each boat."The guide huffs while attempting to blow the boat.

"DANI SQUAD!" Danielle booms, "Sarah, Jacob and Zoe with me!"

"But thats four people." The guide sighs.

"Can't you make an exception?" Danielle complains.

"No." The guide replies.

"Fine. Payton can come with us. So can Cash and Paige." Danielle picks them out one by one.

I'm a bit confused on why Danielle would choose me to be on the same boat as her but I guess I'm flattered? At least this gives me a chance to sort things out with Paige. I was probably a bit harsh last night. I try to smile apologetically at her but she looks away.

We all buckle our life jackets on and wait for the guide to inspect us. He didn't want anymore drowning incidents happening, which I guess is understandable. We all all manage to climb onto the boat and the guide leads us around with a speedboat.

It is actually very fun. The waves the guide creates with his engines are choppy and Danielle is shrieking and soaking wet. Even though Paige still isn't talking, she looks like she's enjoying herself. I am a fool to think that it's all good, because through Sarah start being unreasonably snarky towards Paige.

"Your taking up my space!" Sarah flicks her hands towards Paige.

"Well your taking up mine!" Paige shoot back.

Girls, I think. They always have to be so complicated, like just move away from each other or something. Is it that hard? Sarah pushes Paige a little too hard and she goes tumbling into Zoe. Luckily, they were both holding the hand support and managed to regain balance.

"That was way low." Paige hisses.

"Guys, can we not—" I start.

"All you have to do is scooch a mooch." Sarah hollers, trying to push Paige again.

This time Paige thinks quick and ducks out of the way. This makes Sarah push Zoe instead. I grab Zoe's arm and help her up before she can plunge headfirst into the water.

"Can you guys both move?" I groan.

"Sure sweetie." Sarah kisses me on the cheek and moves closer towards me while Paige moves to the back wordlessly.

After that, I can finally enjoy the calm, sweet and serene setting. Of course there are some occasional bumps along the river, but luckily we the boat never gets punctured.

"So kids, what do you think?" The guide pulls us over to the deepest spot in the lake. "Don't ever swim here, tons of fish and extremely deep."

"Isn't that good for fishing?" Jacob says.

The memory of jacob singing 'yum yum, good for my tum' comes back to my mind and I nearly vomit.

"Poisonous fish." The guide adds.

Everyone looks alarmed and Danielle starts shrieking at the guide to take us back to the shore.

"Don't worry kiddos, they will attack-"

"I'M TOO SPECIAL TO DIE!" Danielle gasps.

"They will attack if you talk loudly." the guide says calmly, "they don't like loud sounds, they see it as a threat."

"So, what type of fish live here?" Mychael asks, intrigued.

I will never understand his talent or interest in fishing.

"I'm not sure. I think its an unknown species." The guide sighs.

"Okay well then, I'll never come back here again." he gulps and clings onto the boat.

"Are you scared?" Eva laughs, Mychael shakes his head. 

After a while they start trying to push each other into the water playfully.

God. Just start dating. We can all tell Eva likes Mychael more then Payton.

"Hey Paige, maybe you should STOP BREATHING DOG BREATH ONTO MY BACK?" Sarah screeches, which, of course alerts all the schools of fish.

"Sarah," the guide hisses, alarmed, "keep it down."

"I don't appreciate your contaminated dog breath on my back." She sneers.

Everyone looks at Sarah in disgust. I mean I get that Sarah can be rude sometimes, but when you get to know her she's actually really sweet, but this time, I have an unwelcome twinge of sympathy for Paige.

"Well I don't appreciate your hair blowing in my face so if you could go bald that'd be greatly appreciated." Paige fires back.

"Keep. it. Down." The guide repeats.

"If you could go dump your life on the streets and give it to someone nicer than you that'd be greatly appreciated." Sarah bellows.

"Shut. up." The guide says calmly again, but you can tell he's starting to lose his cool.

"You should eat make up so you're prettier on the inside!" Paige says a little louder.

"Good tip." Zoe writes down in her notebook, "I'll try it after this activity."

"If you could GET LOST THAT'D BE GREAT!" Sarah roars, the fishes are swimming up to us at rapid speeds and the guide is panicking.

"No, no, this is not good." he mutters nervously and tries to start the engine, which is conveniently out of fuel.

Danielle loses it. Her screams echo around the lake and attracts more fish. Eva finds an apple in the food trunk and stuffs it into Danielle's mouth, muffling her screams.

"Everyone, stay calm and make your way to the speed boat, avoid all contact with water. There should be enough room for all of us here."

"Why can't we stay on the boats?" Danielle complains, spitting out the apple, "my feet are sore."

"They have poisonous spines that can puncture the boats."

"Well if I die, it's gonna be in style!" Danielle flicks her hair and stays on the boat.

"THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT PAIGE! NO ONE LIKES YOU A—"

It happens in slow motion.

Paige pushes Sarah into the water.

Sarah screams for help.

"Don't worry, if you pass out you'll float on the water!" The guide reels out a rope and tells Sarah to grab it.

I look at Paige and she seems content about what she did.

"We need to talk." I grab her by the arm.

She looks at me steadily and shakes me off carelessly.