Ch. 44 - Getting Through

Start from the beginning

As Yoshiho skidded to a stop, she glared at Hitomi from the other side of the riverbank.

"You were blessed with a quirk that matched your parents'... and you can't even use it to fight me."

She stumbled slightly, her gaze falling to the ground as she held onto one of her gauntlets. "You're so weak. If I can beat you, it'll just be another thing that I can use to prove them wrong. I'll get my license, become one of the greatest heroes in existence, and finally make my scummy parents eat their words."

Hitomi faltered, processing what Yoshiho had said.

"Scummy" parents...?

"So..." Yoshiho looked back up at Hitomi, her eyes so filled with rage Hitomi would say she almost looked murderous. "Stop running away like the useless person you are, won't you? Make this fight actually worthwhile."

Hitomi flinched at her words, taking a step back.

She has family issues, just like Todoroki.

Yoshiho aimed her fist at her again, a gravity pulse shooting from her hand. Hitomi narrowly dodged it, seeing it destroy some of the trees.

She's too strong!!

Yoshiho launched another gravity pulse at Hitomi, the bluenette having no time to dodge. All she could do was make a force field and let herself get pushed back into her own wall, feeling as if the air was knocked out of her lungs.

When the attack finally settled, Hitomi fell to the ground, panting. She stared at the ground, her eyebrows furrowing as she felt herself get annoyed.

There was only so much Hitomi could assume.

But if what she'd figured turned out to be true, and this whole situation was what she thought it was...

Hitomi wasn't just gonna let herself be someone else's punching bag.

"Who cares what your parents think?!" Hitomi yelled.

"Of course someone like you would say something like that!!" Yoshiho screamed back, clenching her fists. "You spent years living in a blissful lie! Always getting told you were worth something! You didn't live with the weight of your parents telling you would never amount to anything!!"

Hitomi's hunch was confirmed, the girl getting up from the ground as her fists clenched.

She's hurt.

Hitomi couldn't even begin to imagine what Yoshiho's life was like.

Hitomi's eyes glowed, the air getting warmer as she launched a force field at Yoshiho. The Shiketsu student jumped out of the way, launching herself with her quirk and leaving some cracks in the ground.

"And you believe all that?" Hitomi yelled, her voice echoing across the river.

She saw Yoshiho flinch slightly, the girl fumbling her landing. She stumbled a little bit, looking surprised for only a moment before she shook her head, her eyes narrowing. "Why would I believe it?!"

Yoshiho launched another gravity pulse at Hitomi, Hitomi diving to the side as she felt her hair billow behind her. She rolled on the ground, sliding along the dirt. Hitomi groaned, before staring back at Yoshiho, a look of realization in her silver eyes.

"...Because you're scared," Hitomi mumbled, getting up from the ground.

Yoshiho froze, her eyes wide in bewilderment. Hitomi took that chance to attack, forming a large wall and blasting it at the Shiketsu student. Yoshiho recoiled, having no time to dodge and holding her hands up in an attempt to block it. The force field hit her hard, pushing her back as her feet slid across the ground before it finally dissipated.