Tips for controlling your negative emotions ~ Alexa

When you are overly emotional it is hard to think clearly and make good decisions.

Not controlling your emotions can lead you to make bad choices and hurt people, including yourself.

Trust..I know from experience.

These are a few tips of mine for controlling your emotions.

1. This too shall pass.

Remind yourself that whatever you are feeling in the minute will pass.

"This too shall pass." That's my slogan.

2. Don't react right away

Give yourself time to calm down. Do not jump the gun. Breathe deeply and get yourself to relax.

3. Remind yourself feelings are not in the control. You are.

We can't choose our feelings, but we can choose what we do with them. Choose not to put them in the driver seat.

4. Avoid triggers

Avoid media, people, and situations that may make you feel overwhelmed with negative emotions. For the example, if you are sensitive do not watch violence and gore.

5. Discover a healthy escape

Find something to help take your mind off the emotions and make you feel better. It can be to call a friend, read a book, or watch a funny video. Maybe, you find a pastime like singing or writing to help you escape.

Leave any tips of your own in the comments.

Stay strong. Including emotionally strong. You got this.