No. It didn't do to molly cuddle.

Jane's vision swayed as the blood, rushing through her veins, gained pace; quickening her heart.

She so wanted to love this woman in front of her and yet time and again barriers between them made it impossible.

'You don't know the first thing about being a mother,' she snapped. 'About the pain and hurt you put us through, the endless nights without sleep.'

Only it was too late for any of that.

'Oh please. Am I supposed to feel any sympathy here?' said Jenny. 'Am I supposed to break down and cry – run over to you and have you hold me in your arms, because if that's what you want mother, then you are wasting your time. You should have done that a long time ago but you didn't. You should have done that a long time ago instead of calling the police or stopping me from seeing my friends.'

Now Jenny was starting to feel the blood rushing through her veins.

'You always left 'me' to pick up the pieces and now you are going to know exactly how that feels.'

But Jane Stamford hadn't finished.

'You have to take some of the blame,' she sobbed, slamming her glass hard onto a table. 'It can't be all my fault. How many times did you come back late, with me worried sick whether you had fallen foul of some rapist only for you to stagger in during the early hours laced up to your eyeballs having just spent the last few hours with so called friends.'

But she had lost her grip; she had used a word in her last sentence that was one too far, opening up old dangerous wounds which her daughter pounced on with so much ferocity it made her mother flinch.

'Rapist!'

Jenny Stamford's voice rose with such volume it would have been heard in every room of the house.

'How dare you!'

She turned aiming for the door.

'If that's all you've got to say then we are through and believe me mother when I say it but I have done you all a favour sinking that God ugly ship of yours and Adam can go to hell with the rest of you all because I'm done. I'm through with all of you and as far as I am concerned you can all go to hell.'

Jane Stamford had a split second to react to try and reach out to her daughter resulting in uttering the only words she hoped would bring her daughter back into her arms.

'She's alive.'

Jennifer Stamford stopped and hesitated. She turned round confusion etched across her face.

'Impossible.'

Jenny looked intently at her mother trying to gauge whether this was another one of her tricks. But it wasn't.

'Your dad didn't want you to know. I was sworn to secrecy. I didn't know what to do - but now this - you have to give yourself up for her sake. You have to go to the police. Stop all this hatred, come clean and we can all talk about this together. Talk to your dad. Talk to Adam.'

Jane's eyes were awash with tears but it was an empty shell that looked back and as each word tried to reach out, an intense feeling of betrayal rose through her daughter's body.

Her face grew cold; her ears closed out all sound as she began to move forwards.

Anger and rage exploded with such intensity only one thought escaped from her slender body as she picked up an ashtray and struck her mother with so much force it fractured skin and bone above the left eyeball, spraying blood into the air and dropping Jane Stamford like a stone, hitting a coffee table and killing her instantly.

Bright red liquid seeped into the carpet as her daughter looked away before moving calmly over to the bar where she found a cloth that she started to use to wipe the ashtray clean.

In truth Jenny felt nothing.

Her love for the person now lying on the floor ended a long time ago and in a way, it was good that she had gone. It had brought an end to the past, a reason for renewed optimism and in the time that it took to hurl her mother's glass at a mirror hanging against the far wall shattering it into a thousand tiny pieces, a new direction had suddenly opened up before her.

The deafening noise of glass breaking started an orgy of destruction that lasted well into the evening stopping only after she had found what she had been looking for.

Hidden behind the portrait of her late grandfather, she opened a safe and seized a leather bound manuscript, her face delighting at the words written across the front page.

'"The last will and testimony of Jane Stamford."

She negotiated through the debris that was once her parent's house and then walked out into the darkness.

'I'm coming for you darling,' she said softly. 'I'm coming for you my darling and no one is going to stop me.'

+   +   +   +   +   +   +   +   +   +   +  

Wow!

Very intense. Both sides arguing. Both sides hurting.

But did Jane Stamford deserve that?

Only you will know.

Comments and votes as always.

Take care.
JU