Russia (and Ukraine) || Caretaker

Another Solo story! This time starring Russia.

Thanks a lot to @A-Random-Weirdo for helping me write this! 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

*Creak*

*Creak* 

*Creak*

Heavy leather boots left deep footsteps in the white snow as a tall figure slowly walked across the woods. 

Siberian pines stood proud, towering the immaculate scenery, almost looking like they were guarding the winter wonderland that laid before them. Curious squirrels peeked out from behind the large firs, pointing their sprightly eyes at the young man who appeared to be crossing their territory.

He was the only human presence in that place which still belonged to Nature's realm, a forest of ethereal beauty, away from civilization, a place where no human had ever dared venturing into. 

A paradise meant for trees and animals only, a paradise that was ultimately spared by humans' greedy grasps and was hoped to be left that way for a long time to come.

What was that foreigner doing there, then?

He was the only one, a gray stain standing out from the immaculate white expanse. 

The boy wore a long grey coat with fur on the collar, protectively embracing his neck, black boots now slightly covered in snow, a dingy ushanka that appeared to have served many years of use. His form and colors completely clashed with Nature's harmonious palette of dark green, brown and white, white, white. White as far as eye could see.

Even if he appeared to be out of place, the young man didn't feel so. 

In fact, he himself owned that forest. He was the only Lord meant to rule over that great extent of trees, able to crush Mother Nature's will under his feet if he only wished to.

He was the one and only Russia, the major Slavic country, the man who used to be a world superpower - many still debate whether he still owned that title or not.

He wasn't out of place, at all. 

Instead, he felt like he really belonged there. Away from Moscow's frenzy and overwhelming demands of attention from its leader, away from Saint Petersburg's coming and going of annoying tourists, away from the suburb's miserable decay. 

He was really at home, surrounded by the woods' cold embrace, away from every stress source. Not a sound disturbing the quiet Russia had long desired for. He was alone, he was at peace, he was finally able to relax and let his mind wander after having to put up with all the recent political bullshit. The only sounds he heard were the ones coming from his boots as they sank in the snow, his breath turning visible as it became one with the icy air, puff after puff.

Feeling content with his decision of spending his well deserved time off in that wonderful place, he slowly started humming a melody he knew since he was a little child. The quaint little inhabitants of the forest listened intently as Russia chanted, telling them the story of a woman waiting for her husband to return from war.* 

« Rastsvetali iabloni i grushi,

Poplyli tumany nad rekoj.