Chapter Twenty-One [Blood Brothers]

Snow was pure white, the same color as cocaine. However, unlike the addictive substance, it could be the most beautiful thing in the world. It fell from the cloudy sky, coating the entire city of Chicago in a thick blanket of white. The trees were heavy, leaning under the weight of it.

Adrienne skipped out in front of me, spinning around as she caught snowflakes on her tongue. Her childish actions hid the strength she contained within from the outside world, but not from me. The ends of my mouth curved into a smile. From the first day I'd laid eyes on her, I knew she was different. She struggled with her own demons, but it made it easier for her to understand mine. Now, with her by my side, I was taking steps to change my life, and it started with moving out of my father's house.

I was free from the place that had been my prison for so long. My father's house held nothing but bad memories and broken promises, things that I had finally put behind me. Now my focus shifted to the challenges that lay ahead of me. The Northside would welcome me. Cam would guide me in the right direction. He'd give me the resources I needed for a new life, but the Southside wouldn't just disappear. Eventually, I would have to face the wrath of the brotherhood. For now, I wanted to enjoy my time with Adrienne, so I left tomorrow's problems for tomorrow's me.

Her body crashed into mine, knocking me off balance, and a wide smile spread across her face. Snowflakes caught in her curls as they swirled from the sky. "Spence. I love snow, for real."

I chuckled as my hands rested on her hips inside her jacket. My fingers traced along the skin above her waist. "I can tell you do. I've been around it too long to love it."

She rolled her eyes. "Is that what you are going to say about me whenever we get old?" Her eyebrows raised in amusement, knowing she'd caught me in a trap.

I brushed my nose against hers. "No, of course not," I whispered, giving her a warm smile.

She pushed my chest and stepped away from me, grabbing my hand in hers. "So what makes you think the Northside will let you stay?" As we walked, she looped her arm through mine.

"Let's just say, I have connections on the Northside of town. Cam gave me an invitation, and I've decided to take him up on the offer."

She was quiet as we crossed the street and entered the alley that hid the Northside's apartment. In front of the metal large metal door stood two Blood members, each dressed in black with bandanas covering their faces. Their hands gripped onto the shimmering metal of submachine guns, and their heads were tilted in our direction at the sound of the crunching snow beneath our feet.

Fear pulsed through my veins causing my shoulders to tense. I placed my body between them and Adrienne unsure how the situation would unfold. The hairs on the back of my neck stood up, and my palms were sweaty as my eyes locked onto them.

The guy to the right of the door turned his body to us. "Who are you?" There was a harshness to his tone.

My hand rested on the gun inside my jacket pocket. "I'm Spencer King from the Southside. I'm here to speak to Cam." My eyes flicked between the two of them.

The heat from Adrienne's body raced across my back as she pressed against me, and it didn't feel like winter outside. I was sweating like a junkie without crack. The guys glanced at each other, exchanging a few words before they turned their attention to us.

"Cam is handling a deal at the warehouse on Cantrell. You can talk to him there, but the girl has to stay," the same guy spoke again.

The thought of leaving her alone caused my stomach to tense, but I didn't want to risk her getting hurt either. She had been through enough the past couple of days. I turned my back to the two Blood members, and my eyes searched Adrienne's face.