Chapter Thirteen [Allies]

The heat consumed my body as I stepped into the dimly lit apartment that belonged to our allies. The cold winter air was locked outside, along with all of my troubles.

The only light in the room cascaded from a single bulb that dangled from the ceiling, and it swayed from the breeze of the heater. The old, worn-down exterior of the place could have fooled anyone, but the interior of the Northside lair was lavish.

The walls were a pristine shade of white, and the open concept floor plan allowed for plenty of space for the large number of bodies that were crowded into the room. There were people talking, and loud rap music, booming with bass, played from two speakers beside the T.V. The soft hum of the heater overhead could only be heard whenever the music changed.

The party was in full swing as I followed Cam, who pushed between bodies to get away from the door. As we walked, I caught a strong scent of weed and turned my head in the direction of the smell. Smoke raised into the air as a white guy in a beanie exhaled it from his lungs.

"Where's the liquor at?" Cam asked, and my head turned to him.

He stood, arms folded, in the middle of the brightly-lit kitchen. It took my eyes a moment to adjust to the contrast from the darkness of the living room. The kitchen had dark wood cabinets and marble stone countertops that matched the island in the middle of the room. The Southside had never had this appeal. The Blood splashed their cash when it came to their living quarters, not sparing one expense. Someone took the time to design a place that was meant to feel like home.

Cam was speaking with two other Blood members that leaned against the counter. One of the guys raised a Coors Light bottle to his lips while the other drank from a red solo cup. As they caught sight of me, their eyes narrowed. To them, I was an outsider.

Cam smiled as I approached. He walked around the counter to the large refrigerator and pulled it open. "What do you drink, Spence? The selection is endless." He let out a laugh.

The other two guys headed off to rejoin the party, and the uneasiness in the room disappeared. I leaned against the countertop and smirked at him. "Whatever you got, bro. Surprise me."

Cam shut the fridge and turned to me, holding a bottle of Hennessy. He set two red solo cups down on the table and unscrewed the top to the bottle. The amber liquid flowed easily from the bottle into the cups on the counter.

I watched in silence before he pushed the cup over to me. I took a long hard sip of the drink and winced, feeling the burn at the back of my throat.

Cam chuckled as he took a drink. He set his cup down on the counter. He looked at me from across the island. "You want to tell me about it?"

His dark eyes were on my face, and my stomach tensed. I sighed and took another drink. "Not really."

"Come on, Spence. Get it off your chest."

My eyes flickered to him across the bar. "I don't know where to start."

"The beginning is always a good place," he offered as he raised his cup back to his lips.

My lips curved into a small smile at his statement. "I was promoted to YG a few months ago."

He tilted his head at me with a wide smile on his lips. "Congrats, my guy. That's impressive for a guy who has been in less than four years."

"Thanks, Cam."

He leaned against the island. "No problem, but I'm assuming there's more. James death must've caused a stir south of the tracks."

I swirled the liquor in my cup. "Damn, man. You have no idea. Cayden took the reins without hesitation, but he's out for blood. He's using his position in the gang for revenge on chief Jackson. The chief left him to suffer at James' hand, and he can't let it go." I sighed as I glanced down at the liquid in my cup.