XX | The Frontline

KENNETH

Formed by the mounts over the centuries, the Long Way was a rocky trail embedded with the countless footprints of mounts. Kenneth's deathorse was one of them, though it was thought to be found riding the opposite direction from its origin, it certainly seemed that Glaze had treated Kenneth as his owner.

"Look at that horse go!" Admired by the cheekier brother, Ramsay Dawson was fascinated by the deathorse. Though still murky with dried blood stains on its royal fur, the horse was incomparable to the rest, except for Wynx's of course. 

"Why does it only listen to you?" Charles, riding alongside with Ken, was eager to know the answer behind this. There was a clear sign to the rest of the group that the deathorse was different. Even the Dawson's mounts were showing signs of fear when it came close to the lifeless creature.

"It's a she, Charles," Ken reminded him once again. "I don't know... I can't explain this spectral feeling I had when I first encountered her." Stroking her crest with his bare hands, Ken was aware that he had a soft spot for this deathorse. His war glove was taken off and noticed by men around him.

"I suggest you keep your hands with you, Sir Kenneth," Wynx, the leader of the group warned from the front. Strangely, the experienced traveler seemed to have a third eye on the back of his head.

Had he been listening to us all this while?

Wynx, still emitting a familiar vibe towards the brothers, was still unknown to most of them. His voice carried by the wind alerted the group about the rocky trails ahead and possible wild creature attacks. Though majority of the creatures would not be found nearby the Amorian borders, safety was the priority in his point of view.

Putting up the courage, Kenneth Venetian nudged Glaze with a gentle movement. Knowing as if what her owner wanted, Glaze moved forward to catch up with Wynx.

"Yes, Sir Kenneth?" Wynx questioned as he raised his brows. It was almost not visible as the shadow of his hood was covering his face. His green cloak seemed to add some essence of mischief towards his personality.

"Sorry to interrupt but I have a question, goodman. Who exactly are you?"

"A fine traveler, with a love of exploration. That's all you need to know," Wynx replied with a nonchalant yet cold voice. He didn't care much as his eyes were affixed on the path. Both Charles and Ramsay were left a few steps behind. The conversation was just between the leader and the young knight.

"Why are you here?" Ken asked.

"The Spine of Amor said so, that's why. I'm merely doing him a favor." The leader responded with a disinterested tone. With a little bit of emotion stirred into his curiosity, he asked, "Why do you want to know?"

Ken, recalling the traveler whom he saw last time, messed his brown hair as he thought. Travelers weren't often seen in the Kingdom of Amor, as majority of them were either beyond the walls trading with the Alorians or venturing to places men had never set foot upon on. Faces of inn keepers, merchants, blacksmiths, bards and farmers were common to Ken, but the face of a traveler would always be remembered.

"I want to know more about the Redwood Village." After a brief moment of silence, Ken finally voiced out with a shaky tone.

"The abandoned village?" The name of the village rang a bell in Wynx's head. "I've heard from The Spine that you'll be parting away from us along with the lord once we've neared the forests. It's sad to hear that you've lost your memory, but I would pray to the Rogs that you remain clueless about your origin."

Wynx's words were like a scratch onto his heart. "I don't understand. But why?"

"The village was abandoned for a reason, Sir Kenneth. Lord Laydon's death took a heavy toll onto men beyond the walls. Both members of the forsaken clans and the innocents beyond the walls fled away from that very village to keep their heads intact to them. You're lucky to have survived, Sir Kenneth."

Surprised by the leader's knowledge about him and the village, Kenneth was anxious. The Spine had certainly told Wynx a lot about me. The young knight assumed with his head. "I know I'm lucky... I've heard that a million times now."

"Forgotten or remembered, I believe that it is not important. Sometimes, the truth may be better to be kept unknown," Wynx clarified his intention.

"I have to know the truth."

"So be it. I do not know much frankly. It is best if you discover it yourself," Wynx replied.

Ken, only knew that he was found in a pile of bodies. His fondest memory was filled with fallen knights and crippled bodies of the clan members. Fear engulfed him as he shivered at the corner of a hut, witnessing the horrific aftermath. It was only then, The Sword had found him.

He knew deep inside him, that Wynx wouldn't tell any further. Ken murmured, "Alright, goodman."

"Call me Wynx instead."

**********
If you've enjoyed the story so far, remember to vote and comment! Thank you! ❤️