XV | The Assembly

KENNETH

"Get them here, now," Merlin ordered one of his men. It had seemed that Merlin's men were everywhere, from within the heart of the castle to the boundaries of the wall. The Spine certainly had connections to all levels of the hierarchy in Amor.

With the sound of red cloaks marching within the castle walls, Kenneth scrutinized the surrounding atmosphere as he clumsily held his overwhelming belongings on his shoulders. The weight of his possessions slowed him down as he dragged his crakow across the cobble ground. His scabbard tangled his movements as Ken struggled to move.

"Rog Hells... You've literally brought an entire inn with you!" A wild slap on his back, Ken turned his head towards the familiar voice. It was the trader, the brilliant rat on the street, Ramsay Dawson. Still moving swiftly with his packed possessions, Ramsay only carried an old ragged sack. It had seemed that he smuggled it from his bakery. 

Ken noticed the smell of yeast when Ramsay's brother joined the two. A much taller brown haired Amorian stood across them both with a battle axe on his dominant hand, Charles Dawson uttered, "I thought we had a few more days to prepare."

His cheeky little brother replied, "Quit whining, Charles! It's a blessing from the Rogs that we are able to set foot away from this boring and humdrum life, living like rats on the street. I mean... just look at the sky, it's oddly red since two days ago. It's probably a sign to have some fun, am I right?" Again, Ramsay swung his hand towards Ken on his back.

Ken, as clumsy as always, still struggling to hold onto his multiple sacks of belongings, replied with a slightly uncomfortable tone, "Yes, but it is not the fun I seek. It's the truth that I need to search for." Ken sighed, as usual, with a hint of confusion. He feared the truth, yet felt destined to search for it, knowing his death might just be awaiting for him.

"Is your father here?" Ramsay asked while scratching his round bubbly nose. The odor from the surrounding knights seemed to bother him as he searched for the Sword.

"No, he isn't. He told me that he was busy." The rumors about the missing queen jogged his memory. He remembered his father telling him about it. That explains why the red cloaks are roaming around the castle. Ken thought to himself. The ruby sky was also rumored to be a message from the Gods of Fire signifying a great crisis - the lost Queen.

"Sad. It's been a while since I've talked to your father! Still, I haven't thank him about the halva he provided us," Ramsay spoke with a tint of appreciation.

"Alright, gather up, folks!" The Spine of Amor, Merlin Manson, announced to the gathered men with his loud yet pesky voice. Footsteps engulfed the atmosphere as men aligned themselves in front of the Sevi. Travelers, knights and even lords were there.

Glancing across the cobble field, Ken saw several familiar faces, one of them being the Guardian of Eastern Gate, Lord Lennin. A chill went down Ken's spine as he took a swallow fearfully.

His long brown hair was peculiar to the locals as it was an uncommon sight. However, it had seemed that everyone around Merlin had adopted his style and never judged his sense of fashion. Wearing Amorian silk with metal embedded on his chest, his body shifted upwards towards the sky as he voiced out.

"Brave men of Amor, as you know, you have all been chosen to serve the Kingdom of Amor - to set foot towards East, to the infamous Kingdom of Alora. It is dangerous." Merlin stopped and looked blankly towards the ruby sky. His eyes soon returned to his audience as he continued.

"But it has to be done. I am not going to deceive you as I believe you all deserve the truth. An Alorian knight was found at the Eastern Gates recently. Not a threat, just a puny knight really. However, it was no ordinary knight. Cast with blood magic, it was unkillable."