IV | The Deathorse

LENNIN

"Do you think it bites harder than a saber?" One of the guardsman asked, almost in a ridiculed tone. His armored companions in the basement of the dungeon chuckled like they were hyperventilating. It was dark, only to be lit up by several torches on the cobblestones. Untreated webs and broken bricks on the walls manifested the old age of the abandoned dungeon beneath the castle.

Another guardsman poked the undead horse with a broken plank like it was child's play. Laughter filled the air.

"Mock another and your hand shall be devoured," Lord Lennin warned the guardsman as he took a few steps towards the deathorse, a name given by people who witnessed its immortality. He took out his long sword and pointed the tip of his sword towards the murky deathorse.

"The Sword wants the bloody horse. Bring it to the top floor."

The creature was both motionless and emotionless. It just stood there for reasons only the Rogs would know. As the guardsman pulled the deathorse along the hallway, Lennin was being extra careful. His right hand was grasping onto the handle of his long sword the entire time and his eyes never left it.

Once they had reached a broken chamber, they halted. Making use of the time while waiting for his old friend, Lennin and his men were inspecting the deathorse from a safe distance until Flurkin showed up. It didn't take long for his shadow to appear.

"You stay right here," Flurkin commanded. Shadows flickered. There was someone else behind him. Who could that be? Lennin thought to himself as all he knew, Flurkin never had a company.

"Yes, father," Kenneth replied, letting out a sigh of disappointment.

The flashes of unwanted memories clogged Lennin's thought as soon as he heard Kenneth's voice. With annoyance surging through his veins, Lennin let it out.

"Flurkin, why did you bring your son here? You know it is not safe. He is just a kid, he should be at the street selling pies with his little rat friend of his," Lord Lennin was gradually turning red as he had always despised Kenneth.

Lennin Tuscan had always been a strict and stern knight. He was one of Flurkin's playmates back when they were in their adolescent years. However, one incident had changed the rest of their history. Their friendship came to an end when that day happened. Kenneth, the only man who survived the clash was an outsider. He was never fit to be an Alorian knight in Lennin's eyes.

"It's his..." Flurkin was interrupted abruptly by Kenneth. "With all the respect, Lord Lennin, I can take care of myself. By nightfall, I will be proudly announced as a knight. The shield of honor, the protector of peace, the knight of Amor."

"The Rogs will never approve of this... If it had not been for Flurkin, I would have cut you to pieces," Lennin uttered sternly. Prejudice against the young man rooted deeply in Lennin's heart. He could not forget what had happened and had never forgiven him. It was all your fault, Kenneth.

"That's enough, Lennin. I want no more of this," Flurkin rebutted the lord. Slowly turning his head, he took a good look at his son. Kenneth was shaking with guilt and had always felt sorry for what had happened, although he could not remember.

Changing the tone of atmosphere, Flurkin asked one of the guardsman, "Is the horse still alive?"

"As dead as alive, I would say," the guardsman replied with an unsure tone.

"It doesn't even move, let alone it being hostile," the fearless lord took two steps closer towards the bloody creature but still, with a grip on his long sword.

"Deathorse," Flurkin called it out. However, the creature did not move but instead stayed still, ice frozen like a terracotta statue.

"Deathorse? The name sounds terribly bad," Kenneth criticized as he showed a slight discomfort on his face. "Look at it, they should call him Froze or... Ice... or Glaze---"

Suddenly, the deadly creature moved his head with its murky cremello hair sweeping through the air. Everyone around the bloody creature jumped as if there was a thunder shock. Their souls left their body for a second and returned in an instance frighteningly.

The deathorse stared blankly at Kenneth and became... alive. Kenneth was so stunned that he fell down to the ground. The young man felt a mysterious connection with it, as if it was an affinity arranged by the Rogs. Ken could not explain it, neither do the rests of the men in the chamber.

"What in the Rog Hells..." Lennin murmured. As Kenneth searched the floor with his hands, trying to find his balance, he stuttered as he called out, "Gl... Glaze?"

The horse neighed for the first time and raised its hooves as high as it could. Beneath its murkiness, men could tell that it was an angelic creature, once glamorous like those royal Alorian war mounts. Men could tell that the previous owner was definitely no ordinary knight.

Lord Lennin was speechless. His men had tried to make the horse nudge the entire night but never seem to come close. This kid is cursed. Only the cursed ones can talk to the dead.

"It seems that the deathorse likes you, Ken," Flurkin chuckled vacuously as he took a few tiny but watchful steps closer. "Maybe he'll... or she'll be yours," very gently, he touched her head with his warm leather gloves. Piercing through the gloves, he could feel her skin was frozen cold but yet icily warm at the same time, like ice melting in fire.

"What? How is that possible?" Lennin was taken by surprised. The green-eyed squire, Ken stepped towards his father, joining him by his side. Gasps broke out in the cozy dungeon. The guardsmen couldn't believe what their eyes beheld. It was unbelievable as the Sevi and his squire were actually admiring the deathorse.

Out of the red, It stuck out its tongue and saliva flowed across Kenneth's cheek as it licked him. It was like a long lost puppy reuniting with its owner. Ken shrieked a little but kept his cool, trying not to scare the deathorse. Rubbing the head of the bloody creature, he was reminded by its wounds. It's hurt.

"This creature does not belong here, so does that boy of yours. I suggest you to stay away from that demonic horse, Flurkin, and get your kid out of the border as soon as possible. I expect him to shine the truth once he remembers and justice shall be brought to my brother."

"It is not his fault."

"How can you be so sure of it?! You heartless piece ---" Lennin caught himself fumed with rage and calmed himself down as he crushed his ego down internally. "Nevertheless, stay away from that creature. I will not protect you or your filthy kid if it attacks. Oh, I'll slice it up for your feast since you like it so much."

"Its future is not for me to determine, neither you. The King decides it, Lennin." Flurkin gave his old friend a stern warning. He took several breathes before he continued uttering, "As for Kenneth, he'll leave Amor, as planned."

With his eyes closed, Lennin thought. It's easy for you to say that. But, you truly understood my pain.

**********
If you've enjoyed the story so far, remember to vote and comment! Thank you!
❤️