VII | The Accolade

FLURKIN

The King's Chamber was filled with sounds of metal clanked and the chatters among the knights. It was nothing special, just a squire turning into a knight, but everyone seemed to be there. The accolade, although grand and prestigious to the soon-to-be knights, it had always been an excuse for other knights to feast and enjoy themselves.

Lords and Sevis from all corners of the kingdom were having their feast, most of them unknowing which squire was being knighted. Since the beginning of realm, kingdoms had powerful men protecting them. Granted with titles, they served the kingdoms. Flurkin, the Sword, was one of them.

As his eyes scanned the chamber, his vision was filled with armored men. At the the central tables, Lord Lennin could be seen entertained by the other guardians of gates. Despite he was the only lord there, he was humble enough to treat the wall knights as equals. 

The smell of food contaminated the King's Chamber. Fried pork belly and pigeon pies flooded the tables. For commoners, such a treat was heaven to them.

"Who's the lucky few tonight, Flurkin?" The Shield of Amor, Sagon Regnon, asked as he joined Flurkin on the table, placing a cup of wine ruthlessly. At the corner of Flurkin's eye, he noticed that the wine had spilled on the wooden plank but decided not to judge the Sevi.

"It's the twins, Travis and Tobias. Oh, not to forget, and his little adopted squire, Sagon! Haven't you got your manners? At least know who are the main show tonight before picking up that wine!" Hitting Sagon with his elbow, the Spine, Merlin Manson chuckled and took a drink of Amorian wine in a single gulp.

Sevi Merlin had a fairly long brown hair for a knight with a bony cheek. With a joker personality, Merlin never took things seriously. Despite his humor seeming to be overwhelmingly friendly, he never had much friends. People thought he was fake because of his intolerable face. A huge and nasty smile had always been stuck onto his lips as if it was a permanent scar.

"Is it that green eyed squire of yours?"

A calm but yet leaden voice came from behind. It was a princess' voice. The King's niece, Princess Merrilyn, also known as Mary, spoke nonchalantly as she walked gracefully towards the knights. "Sevi Flurkin, congratulations on your son's accolade. I'm sure the other Sevis are happy for you too." She stopped, glaring at Sevi Merlin and Sevi Sagon, she then mocked. "Because of the food provided of course."

"Princess Mary, that would be rude to say that. We are absolutely delighted that his adopted little bastard is getting knighted. Only the Rogs would know his origin, and I'm guessing probably from the abandoned bandit tribes or the forsaken clans." 

Appearing to be drunk, Merlin could not control his wicked lips. The Spine of Amor, Merlin Manson, was never a good drinker. As a bridge between the citizens and the kingdom, he had always done a terrific job in the eyes of the majority. The only reason people think that Merlin was not expelled out of the Sevi Council was because the King, Myras had always completely trusted him.

Flurkin's face turned red as he frowned with irritation. Before he could vocalize his words, Mary commanded with absolute confidence.

"Another word to the kid, and your tongue will split." Standing tall and proud, the princess was stunningly gorgeous with her icy looking eyes, but yet her spoken words were sharp as the Noarden icicles. She was just eighteen. Coldness in her eyes radiated to everyone around her like an ice floor cracking towards them. However, the fat Sevi, Sagon continued to drink his wine as if he had not heard a single word from the princess. 

As the last gulp went down his throat, Sagon nonchalantly uttered to Merlin, "Keep your mouth shut to yourself, will you? After all, it's the kid's big day."

"I'm the Spine of Amor. No one tells me what to do," insisted Merlin as his body protested, taking a leave from the wooden table. The tables were all arranged neatly in a horseshoe, facing the golden seat.

Chatters continued in the King's Chamber. It was dusk already.

Where is the King? The accolade should start by now. Flurkin thanked Mary for her help and strolled towards the back of the chamber. The Damask twins, Travis and Tobias were rehearsing the accolade. Next to them, there he was, that mahogany hair with emerald green eyes, Kenneth stood there, swinging his long sword while kidnapped by his thoughts.

"Hey Ken, are you ready?" Flurkin asked as he approached his son.

"Yes, father. Has the King arrive?" Clumsily, he slid his long sword into his scabbard and picked the silver piece from the corner of the floor. It was an Amorian war helm.

"No, the King is not here yet. I'm afraid you have to wait a little longer, Ken."

"Maybe..." Negative thoughts clouded and devoured Ken's mind. He remembered that day. The very day he was supposed to be sentenced to death by the King. Kenneth was filled with fear. "Maybe the King changed his mind."

With a strong slap onto his shoulder, his father woke Ken from his misery. "From today, you shall be the shield of honor, protector of peace, the knight of Amor. The King has promised me your knighthood. He has no reasons to change his mind. Oh, and don't forget, the twin squires are to be knighted as well."

Still clinging onto the memories flashing at the back of Ken's head, he asked. "Father, but why? Why did you take me in? Why didn't you just let them kill me?" His eyes coated with a layer of shame and guilt as he looked sorrowfully into his father's eyes.

Flurkin was speechless. He knew the answer to it but the words could not seem to formulate verbally. You look just like her...

With a last wave of exhale that trembled even himself, Flurkin finally spoke, "You are special, Ken."

"How so?" His green emerald eyes opened as he awaited curiously to his father's reply.

Suddenly, one of the red cloaks came interrupting their conversation, with a loud pant. Hands crushing onto his kneecaps, the knight took in a deep breath and uttered, "The King is here, Sevi."