XVII | The Dawn of Journey

LENNIN

"May the Rogs protect you, my lord," the wall guards prayed and hoped for the best for Lennin. 

Riding proudly on his horse, Lennin spoke his last words to his closest men. "Keep the wall intact. If we don't return, be prepared to embrace thousands of Alorian knights." Alongside with him was another rider, Thorne Grey, a knight who served at the boundaries of Amor for years.

"Are we all set?" The experienced traveler, with a bow across his back asked his men. His horse was matte black, seemed to be an unusual breed to Lennin. As a lord of Amor, Lennin was unfamiliar with everything about the leader, Wynx. He looked as if he came from another dimension, beyond the hills of Alora.

"One, two, three..." Wynx began to head count as the rests of the group checked their belongings for the last time. "Eleven. We have everybody."

Lord Lennin leered towards the eleventh man, it was Ken. A gentle sigh. His rage seemed to have run out of fuel.

"Leo, Robin, Thorne and I will take the front. Followed by that knight over there and those two next to him." Pointing his gloved fingers towards Ken and his companions, he asked politely, "What are your names?" 

"My name is Kenneth." Ken responded with a gentle bow.

"Charles." His eyes fixated on his battle axe, Charles didn't care much to respond.

"Ramsay Dawson in the house, goodman!" Ramsay exploded with enthusiasm.

Wynx, a bright smile on his face, spoke in a relieved manner, "Very well! The three of you will be in the middle. Lord Lennin and the twins will stay at the back, protecting the tail of the group."

Lennin, slightly annoyed by Wynx's decision, felt he was underestimating his abilities. "With all the respect, Wynx, I think I would be more suitable up front. I've been leading men across the Middle Plains for years now, Sir Thorne may not have enough experience."

"I understand where you're getting at, but I do need a strong warrior at the back of the group. Azomian bandits typically attack from the back, so I assure you that you'll be more useful there." Wynx responded to the lord with a credence tone. It was as if Wynx's capability was on par with Lennin's or beyond his.

Understanding the leader's concern, Lennin spoke, "Very well."

As the sun began to light up the land beyond the wall, their journey began.

The scenery beyond the wall was astonishing. Lennin could feel the freedom of the wind, blowing against his face and the metal coated on him. It smelt fresher than ever.

Three years. It had been three years since I had left Amor. Brother...

The thoughts about his long gone brother knocked upon him. That was one thing for him in common with the Sword, Flurkin. Both of them had never moved on from Lord Laydon's death.

"We'll keep moving until we reach the Middle Plains. We'll take a shelter at the abandoned town at the Last Dragon," Wynx announced to the group. 

Looking at the leader, Lennin noticed from afar that several grey pigeons were flying. They seemed to be gliding across the wind according to their pace. Whose pigeons are those?

As they rode across the grassland, the lord began to notice that though he was in a group, he was alone. No one was near him. The Damask twins rode about a few stomps ahead and they interacted with each other without the lord just fine.

After tasting the air alone at the back of the group, Lennin decided that it would be best to get to know about the twins. Lennin urged his horse forward and gradually rode beside them.