♠ | The Traveler's Map

KENNETH

"Five gold coins," the traveler with a sack replied with a tint of sarcasm.

Searching all over his scrawny body, he had nothing but a bone necklace. Kenneth Venetian held tightly onto his necklace, scratching his head for a solution. "Goodman, is it not possible to trade with two silver coins?"

"Nope."

Disappointment engulfed him. Ken did not know what to do. He really wanted a map, thinking one day, he could use it to search for the truth.

Suddenly, there was a tap on his shoulder, a familiar voice came about. "Hey, Ken!"

"Hey ---"

"Oh come on! You can't be serious, goodman! That map is only worth three silver at most!" Kenneth's best friend, Ramsay Dawson volunteered himself into the conversation. A playful wink was sent to Ken. It seemed that Ramsay knew exactly what he wanted and knew what he was doing.

"No means no. Now leave me alone, will ya?" The traveler was in no mood to barter with the street rat. Although the goodman was no where near clean, Ramsay was murky, filthy like the farm creatures. 

He took a step back and thought carefully, sketching a plan in his head. His brown eyes sharpened and scanned the traveler from head to toe while the traveler walked away.

"What are you ---"

"Shhh!" Ramsay silenced Kenneth as he let out a huge breath. Then, he raised his voice as loud as a saber, "Goodman, I have something to offer you!"

The traveler stopped. He turned around and asked, "What is it?"

"Halva?" Ramsay asked in a frisky tone. "Halva. Amorian's best dish."

With that, the traveler agreed instantaneously without a doubt. Ken was left aside, wondering. How did Ramsay knew he wanted halva?

The man handed Ramsay the map. In return, he agreed to meet the traveler at the local bakery before dusk. Ramsay was going to get him halva.

"How on the Rog Hells are you going to get halva?" Ken questioned with a blur. Everybody knew halva was precious, only served to the royalties during ignition festivals.

"You have your father, don't you?" Ramsay uttered with a smirk.

"I can't just ---"

"Too bad. You have the map now. I'm sure the Sevi would get some for you if you ask. Now, I've got to go prepare! Good luck!"

"Wait!" Ken stopped his friend. "How... how did you know?"

"That he wanted halva?" Ramsay chuckled. "His protruding belly of course!" His burst of laughter carried Ken along. "To add on, who walks around this street at this time? It's a safe guess that he is greedy."

With an exchange of waves, Ramsay strolled away from Kenneth's sight. Ken rolled it open and held it in his hands. Giving the map a good look, a sigh of relief was exhaled.

"The Sevi Lands, huh?"