Chapter 67 - Back to reality

Experiencing excruciating pain that only gets worse, you struggle and after many attempts finally wake up. You look around the room, you're alone.

You: Wasn't Clem with me in here.

Near your bed you notice the barbwire baseball bat and the chair but no Clem, where is she. You sit up on the bed and the pain in your ribs, shoulder and right arm intensify. Looking outside you notice that it's dark outside but something else concerns you, the pain you're experiencing is way worse than when Clem was there. You struggle to your feet and immediately fall to the ground.

You: What's going on.

You ask yourself as you struggle to a knee then make it to your feet, this time using the chair to support yourself. You try to think about the last thing you remember, spending some time with Clem and telling each other...your feelings.

You: Was that all a dream, it can't be. It...felt real.

You look down at the bat and use your leg to pull it closer, then pushing through the pain you manage to pick it up.

You: Maybe this is a dream.

You put your finger near some of the barbwire.

You: Let's find out.

After making a small incision and feeling some pain, you watch intensely as the blood begins to slowly pour out of your finger. Smells, looks and tastes real. You use the chair to make it to the door and place your hand on the door handle, hesitant to open not knowing what to expect when you exit.

You: Come on, don't be scared, maybe Clem woke up and had to do something important. Yeah, that's right.

Before you can open the door it swings open and you're knocked to the ground, landing hard on your back with a loud thud. A person stands above you and as you look up, you realize that the time spent with Clem was probably a dream since you wouldn't dream about...

Derick: You're awake, honestly I prefered seeing you laying on that bed. At least then you wouldn't annoy me.

Once again you struggle to a knee then finally make it to your feet, clutching your right arm in pain.

You: What're you doing here, considering it's dark outside.

He puts the chair near the bed and sits down.

Derick: We just came back from a hunting trip, got a lot of rabbits, some deer and came across some ammo. When we got back Clementine wanted to check on you but had to go help Gabe take the ammo to the armory. Obviously upset she decided to go as fast as she could but asked me to stop by and check on you.

You: And you...agreed?

Derick: She left before I could respond. I wasn't planning on coming here cause honestly I don't give a fuck about you, then again seeing you laying on the bed...unconscious and knowing you're suffering...I get overcome by happiness and I really needed it after listening to that dumbass Gabe try to make jokes. You might actually have some competition for the person I hate the most.

You: Okay...there's something I wanna ask. How long have I been here.

Derick: About a week, could've been longer but the antidote must've helped you heal properly this time instead of temporarily healing you.

You: A week!

Derick: Yeah, why do you care anyway.

You pick up the bat think in of hitting yourself in the head but don't.

You: Never mind, just help me find the armory.

Derick: Why the hell would I help you.

You: Cause I don't know where anything is shithead!