Chapter 40 - Wounded Saviour

READER'S POV
You try to open your eyes but for some reason one of them don't seem to flinch, only your left eye opens.

You: Where...am I?

You try to lift your arm and pain flows through it.

You: Ow.

You force yourself and lift your arm and place your hand on your right eye.

You: A..bandage? Oh yeah...Carver.

You remember what happened with Carver, the injuries and blows you and him suffered and whether or not he is alive. That doesn't matter, I've got to get up.

You roll onto your stomach and force yourself to your feet.

You: Damn...I feel like I got ran over by a train. If Carver found me now...I'd probably die.

You look around your environment and notice that you are alone.

You: I swear Omid saved me.

You look at yourself and notice that you are shirtless. Your ribs are bandaged, same goes for your leg and you also feel a scar across your cheek.

You: Wait a minute...Omid?

Looking around the area, no one is there. Only a torn up tent and some pots. You check them out and the pot has fresh food. It's been a while since you ate so you devoured the food.

???: The first thing you do when you wake up is eat...at least you haven't changed.

You: How can I change in a few days...Omid.

He walks up to you and the two of you share a special handshake.

Omid: I'm surprised you remember it.

You: We've been apart for less than a week.

Omid: Well it felt a lot longer.

You: Yeah...I know.

Omid walks into the tent and comes back with some new clothes.

Omid: Your shirt and jacket are torn up and damaged so I thought these would work better.

You put on the new blue shirt and black leather jacket.

Omid: Looking good.

You: Thanks. Hey, where is Christa...and Liam. I thought we were going to them.

Omid looks down and stays silent.

You: Omid...

You call out to him concern. He stays silent for a some time before responding.

Omid: I...I don't know.

You: What?

Omid: Last time i saw them...we were running away from raiders when a group of people came and massacred them. No mercy was shown, bodies were riddled with bullets. We thought that...that things might be looking up for once but then...

He stops talking and choke on his tears. From the first time you met Omid he had never been like this, it breaks your heart and you hug him and he hugs you back. He continues talking while in the embrace.

Omid: The men threatened us, they wanted to take us to their base, Howe's Hardware, to work for them and I'd we didn't they'd kill us.

You: What happened?

Omid: I tried to plead with them to let us go, CHRISTA  tried to plead with them...but they didn't take no for an answer. One of them grabbed Liam and I lunged for the fucker as fast as I could but their bullets were faster. I dropped to the ground and could only hear Christa screaming and Liam crying.

You: That's awful...how are you alive?

He let'sgo of you and drops to your level.

Omid: I don't know how but I'm glad I am. I found you.

You: I'm glad you found me.

Omid: Now that we're on the topic what happened to you?

You: The group me and Clem met were running from a group lead by some ruthless guy. Since I'm so lucky the guy walks up to the house we were at and I happened to be outside. Long story short I lead him away from the house and we fought.

Omid: You fought a grown man! Why!?

You: Trying to protect the others.

Omid: Who was the guy?

You: Carver.

Omid: Carver?

You: Yeah, a guy with a deep voice, moustache and Brown coat.

Omid's expression turns into one of shock.

You: What? Do you know him?

Omid: He's the guy who lead the group that took Christa and Liam.

There is a moment of silence between the two of you.

You: Well...we should get going.

Omid: What?

You: We need to find Clem, Christa and Liam. Howe's Hardware should be in the area.

Omid: How do you know?

You: A man called Pete gave me a rough description of the location of the place.

Omid: I trust you but we'll need weapons. Lots of weapons which means...

You: Means?

He stands up and goes to the tent. He comes back with rifles, hunting knives and crossbows.

Omid: Each of us will have one of the weapons. You'll have a rifle, hunting knife an...

You: I got it Omid...but one problem.

Omid: Rifle...

You: Rifle.

Omid: We don't know how much time those at Howe's Hardware have so I'll teach you along the way. You're a prodigy and pick up thinks quick so it should be alright. But for now use this.

He hands you his handgun.

You: Thanks.

You collect the ammo for all your weapons.

Omid: You ready to head out?

You: Yeah, I won't hold you back.

Omid: You're allowed I mean you are 11 years old.

You: Age doesn't matter in this world.

Omid: How so...?

You: No one is shielded from harm, no one is going to say "oh he's 11 so I'm not going to attack him" trust me I know.

Omid: It was a stupid question but it shows how you see the world we live in. You can always be a little more...I don't know.

You: Carefree.

Omid: Yeah.

You: Maybe after we finish up the whole Carver business.

Omid: Alright. Let's go.