Chapter 30: The Testimony of Alexander Ryan

PRESENT DAY

Alex sat at the stand. He felt his heart pound with every breath he took.

pum pum. pum pum.

He tried to look at the crowd, but couldn't muster the courage to make eye contact with anyone, save his sister. She gave him the same reassuring smile that he tried to give her when she had testified.

pum pum. pum pum.

John Allen approached the center of the courtroom. "Please state your name and birthdate for the court." Alex sat there silent for a moment. Then, with all the bravery he had, he began to speak in a low, quiet voice.

"My name is Alexander Theodore Ryan. I was born on January 23, 1994."

Mr. Allen smiled at Alex to give him courage. "You have been tried twice for the murder of Hunter Davis, is this correct?" Alex nodded. "I'm going to need a verbal response from you, sir."

"Yes."

"And you have pleaded not guilty from the start?"

"Yes."

"Now that your second trial is coming to a close, you decided to testify?"

"Yes."

"Do you still wish to plead innocent?"

Alex paused for a moment, his mouth agape. He thought the words, but they did not leave his mouth. He swallowed his thought and leaned into the microphone.

"Yes."

pum pum. pum pum.

John Allen turned slightly toward the jury. "So, Mr. Ryan, in your own, unabridged words, what happened on the day of October 8, 2010?" This question hit Alex like a truck. He had not realized the pit that had formed in his stomach would move to his heart and throat. He could not speak. He felt the room enclose on him. For the first time in the whole trial period, Alex could not think of what to say, what to think, or even what to do.

pum pum. pum pum.

"Mr. Ryan, are you okay?" Nothing. "Alex?" Alex immediately snapped out of it.

"Sorry, sir. What happened on October 8, you ask? That was the day my best friend was murdered." He paused again, staring into the eyes of Betty North. "And let it be known that I did not kill Hunter Davis. It is true, I was one of the last people to ever speak to him."

Alex's testimony was interrupted by the District Attorney's voice. "One of the last? What is that supposed to mean?" Her gray hair and wrinkled skin sat still and unmoving.

"I was not the last person to speak to Hunter before he was murdered." Mr. Allen stepped forward again, cutting Mrs. North out of Alex's view.

"Who was?" he asked Alex.

pum pum. pum pum.

"Will Allen." The room erupted in low whispers and several glances towards the empty pew where the incarcerated children had been sitting.

"Order! Order!" Judge Montgomery bellowed while pounding his gavel into the block of wood.

Once everyone had calmed down, the lawyer was able to continue. He smiled at the judge in appreciation and cleared his throat. "Will Allen, you say? What did they discuss, do you know?"

"Objection! Hearsay. Alex's recount of this interaction cannot be proven true or false."

"Yes it can be," Alex said. Betty North turned to Alex with a shocked look and mouth agape.