Chapter 10: The North and the Bank

7 DAYS UNTIL TRIAL

Amanda Ryan searched her room for the missing page for over an hour. She tore through her bags, closet, desk, even the pockets of her clothes, but it was to no avail. The girl still felt skepticism towards Doug's reaction to her phone call just over an hour ago. Despite his best efforts, Doug was never very good at lying to her. Amanda had not decided whether or not she believed her boyfriend, but she knew she had to find him and speak with him face to face.

"Hey, Mom," Amanda whispered as she exited her bedroom, "I'm going out."

Shannon Ryan peeped her head out from one of the rooms on the opposite end of the hall. "Okay, honey. Do you think you'll find it?" She asked her daughter, careful to remain secretive in case Vinny or James were listening.

"I don't know, but I'm going to try. Will you keep going through the papers to see if you find anything?"

Shannon Ryan disappeared back into the other room. "Yes, honey. I will when I finish the laundry. Be safe... and whatever you do, don't cross that river, not alone."

Amanda put on a jacket and quickly hopped down the stairs. She hugged her father and patted little Vinny's head before sliding out the garage. Since her car was still at the University, Amanda had to borrow her mother's Chevy. She climbed into the small, green car and backed out of her driveway.

As she drove down Ninth Street, her house's avenue, Amanda contemplated on where to go first. The girl was not one hundred percent sure of Doug's whereabouts, but if he was to be believed, he should be at Aaron Hansen's place. There was only one problem with where Aaron lived: it was across Fox River and in "the North" as many people referred to it. The North is where the Grays lived. Their lifestyle differed greatly from that of the Redmen or the Gold Class.

Amanda's parents did not care if she went north with Doug. Despite his amiable and civil facade, Mr. Chambers could handle himself well, and Mr. and Mrs. Ryan trusted him to protect their daughter. But without him, Amanda would not be safe in the North. Without Doug, Amanda could be attacked or even killed. Even though she knew it was not safe to venture north, she still felt that it was necessary to anyway.

She quickly made her way to the northernmost tip of the South. She passed the bakery where she and Doug first met. Back then, he was a rough kid with not much hope in the world. She was trying to buy the last donut in the shop, but Doug had already purchased it. For some reason, he felt compelled to share it with Amanda, and the rest was history.

With Amanda and the rest of the Ryans' help, Doug was able to turn his life around and finish high school. Now he worked at an auto repair shop near the river to help out his father and take care of his sister. Ana was only a few years younger than Alex, but she was very petite. She had fiery red curls and dark brown eyes. Her face was peppered with freckles that shrouded her pale skin. Ana was very quiet compared to most of the Grays. Oftentimes Gray children were rebellious and outspoken, but Ana, much like her brother, was attentive and reserved.

Amanda soon passed onto Harrow Street. She felt her body tense up as she approached the bridge to the North. Her mother's green Chevy groaned as the girl accelerated slowly. She crept across the bridge and out of her safe nest.

Immediately across the bridge, the atmosphere changed. The North is almost twice the size of the South, but its southernmost tip was the most like the South. Filled with wide streets and small shops, the people and cars in the North were grimmer. The aroma of trash and poverty filled the air. Amanda could feel her body tense up at the stench.

In her heart, she always felt sympathy for the Grays, even before she met Doug. James Ryan always taught his children to be kind to others, especially those who have less. Amanda used to come with a few of her classmates to help out at one of the orphanages in the North. For a town of just over twelve thousand, Fox-Run was not lacking in orphans. Some lost their parents to drugs or poverty; most lost them to jail and poor life choices. Amanda turned left onto Nocturnal Way. She had officially entered into Crow territory.