Chapter 3: The Testimony of Amanda Ryan

1 HOUR UNTIL TRIAL

The leaves had already turned by the time Alex was being driven down 3rd Street to the Fox-Run Courthouse. Every tree he passed was red, orange, yellow, brown. Each one had a different pattern and scheme, and yet, as the young boy made his way to his trial, Alex felt more at peace than he did for two weeks. I'm going to win, he kept telling himself. I'm innocent.

For two weeks now, Alex had resided in the precinct's holding cell. The District would not allow him to stay at his house until the trial, but they told him that during the trial, he could remain at home with his family. This was a cruel joke, because the DA believed the judge would come to a verdict on the first day, and the trial would be over, but she was only half right.

Alex looked out the window and realized that the weather was perfect for the emotions he was feeling. The sky was gray, and the ground was wet with dew and light rain. Alex was at peace, but also terrified. His insides churned like butter and cream. He felt beaten down like a caged and tranquilized animal. Down the street, the large, gloomy courthouse loomed ever closer to the police car.

"You alright?" Officer Thompson called back to him. Alex shook his head. "Good," Mr. Thompson replied, "'cause if you were, I'd think you a mad man."

Alex sat still as the car came to a screeching halt. Two officers exited the courthouse to escort the accused inside. Mr. Thompson gave Alex a reassuring smile that the boy was unable to reciprocate. You're innocent, Alex thought. You can't be blamed for what happened. The two court officers each grabbed one of Alex's thin, pale arms and began to ascend the steps into the courthouse.

"Are you ready, Ryan?" one of the court officers taunted him. The two large court doors opened, and the three of them began to walk down the aisle. Once Alex arrived at the defense table, John Allen greeted him with a warm smile. As he took his seat, Alex noticed for the first time since he left the precinct that morning that his heart was racing.

"Relax, Alex. Remember what we discussed." The judge entered into the room and the formalities were discussed between him and John Allen.

Then the DA stood and approached center-floor. "The prosecution calls its first witness—Amanda Ryan—to the stand." Alex watched in horror as his older sister stood up with a blank look and approached the stand.

As she took a seat in the cold leather chair, Amanda Ryan gave her brother a terrified look. Alex dropped his head. Don't say it, he thought. Don't say it. The Bailiff, Morgan Jones, walked up to the college-aged girl with a Bible in her hand. "Amanda Grace Ryan, do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth?"

The girl remained quiet for several moments. "I swear."

<><><§><><>

14 DAYS UNTIL TRIAL

Once he was dropped off by John Allen, James Ryan entered his house to find his wife sitting on the couch in tears. "Shannon..." In her lap lay a photo album that belonged to her estranged son.

"I laid awake all night, thinking about him. Alex used to be so happy and outgoing. What happened to our son?"

James sat down on the brown couch beside his wife. Comforting her, he kissed her head. "It's going to be alright."

Shannon pulled away from her husband. She wiped her ratty hair off of her face. "How can you say that? Our boy murdered someone. And not just anyone; Hunter was his best friend. He spent the night here more times than I can remember. We've been friends with Alice and Frank for years, and our son is responsible for their son's death."