Prologue

Alex Ryan felt a hint of shame and the sour taste of bile in his mouth as he was dragged down the aisle of the courtroom. Cuffed, he was escorted by two officers to the front of the room. As he took his seat, the officers took off his restraints and moved to the side of the room. The bailiff, Morgan Jones, shouted in his obnoxious voice, "All rise for Judge Montgomery." Everyone in the courtroom stood as Judge Carlisle Montgomery entered into the room and took his judge's seat.

Throughout the room, low whispers erupted. Alex looked behind him at the crowd in the room. Maybe six hundred people, the courtroom was filled with many familiar faces. On his side, Alex saw his parents, James and Shannon. Beside them sat his two siblings. Amanda, his older sister, sat quiet and composed. She studied law and knew what was to come of this trial.

In the arms of Shannon Ryan, lay Vincent "Vinny" Ryan. Only seven, he did not understand what was happening. He simply knew that he had not seen his brother in over a week. Alex turned a little to see a group of five or six of his friends. All of them smiled unsurely at him.

On the other side of the courtroom, Alex met the unfriendly eyes of Archibald Thornwood, the rudest, most unpleasant guy in Fox-Run. In front of him sat a couple, crying. Alex made them out as Alice and Frank Davis, the parents of the poor kid who was murdered.

With several loud knocks of the gavel, Alex and everyone else's attention was turned back to the front. Judge Montgomery examined a paper before clearing his throat. "Alex Ryan, you are accused of the murder of Hunter Davis. You are charged with first-degree murder. You are charged with robbery. You are charged with running from the scene of a crime. How do you respond to these accusations?"