𝚏𝚘𝚞𝚛𝚝𝚎𝚎𝚗 »

❝♛❞

ASPEN KINGSLEY sat on her bed, propping up on some pillows at the headboard. When Lucy had adopted Aspen and Penny, she had bought a bunk bed for them. Aspen was bottom bunk, there was no way she was going to fall five feet in the middle of the night. Penny didn't mind being top bunk. She actually grew to enjoy the privacy of being up above.

She was staring at the book on the nightstand when Aspen's dark-haired lanky brother poked his head in.

"Can I come in?" Peter asked timidly.

Aspen stared at her brother, "No." She said rather bluntly.

Peter scoffed and opened the door wider, "Well, too bad." He walked in with his hands in the pockets of his jeans, "So, Lucy said we can skip practice today. Penny and Gen are still doing it today though." Aspen grabbed her monkey stuffed animal, the one Peter had gotten her after their grandmother died, and threw it, aiming for his face.

Peter dodged the monkey, grabbing the plastic cushioned chair from Penny's home desk and placing it right at Aspen's bedside. Slightly crouching to be able to see Aspen and talk to her without staring at the wooden frame of the bunk bed.

He looked at his sister in the eye, "Look, I'm really sorry about what happened. My powers went out of control and I truly did not mean to hurt you."

Aspen shrugged, "It's kinda my fault too. I provoked you, I guess." She mumbled under her breath, although, it was clear and loud enough for Peter to hear.

"No, I shouldn't have reacted that way. I should have kept control." Peter insisted.

"Okay," Aspen stated, "So, is that all?"

Peter shook his head and looked to the door, "Uh, no. Listen, can you not tell Lucy about Lila? All she will do is just making fun of me for it, and I don't even know her that well and don't really wanna bring her into this an-"

Aspen held up her right hand, "No, it's okay. I won't say anything." Aspen smirked, "But..."

Peter groaned and held his head in his hands, "But what?" He asked. God, Lucy thought Peter made too many deals, Aspen was worse. Much worse.

"Well," Aspen started with a playful tone in her voice, "You still haven't finished reading The Hobbit to me," Aspen stated in a sing-song voice,

Peter groaned again, "Ugh, finish?" Aspen nodded.

"But-but, we are only on chapter three! It's gonna take forever if you want me to finish it! It'll take all day!" Peter complained.

Aspen shrugged, keeping the smirk on her face, "Well then. You better start reading."

Peter scruffed Aspen's brown-haired with one hand, making her laugh as he grabbed The Hobbit off the nightstand next to the bunk bed with his other hand. He propped his feet up on Aspen's duvet covered legs making her giggle again as he opened the book at the bookmarked page. The whole reason Peter actually read to Aspen (she could read on her own) was because of how the old living situation they had.

Peter could lie easily, that's really how they had kept the house to themselves. He had no problem with lying straight through his teeth, but that caused some trust issues with Aspen. All Peter wanted was for her to have a normal childhood, not having to worry about what they will eat, neighborhood potlucks, money, bills, and all things that came onto Peter once their grandmother died.

Peter became very stressed. Extremely stressed. And it showed. It even reflected on his relationship with his little sister. He started to become easily angered and had a temper. So reading to Aspen was Aspen's reassurance of when they had time together. Just them. Only them. Once Lucy and their powers came into their lives, Peter and Aspen didn't have a lot of time anymore for their reading sessions. That is until Aspen brought it up to Lucy and then she purposely carved out time for them to have their time.

"Okay, okay," Peter said looking down at the book, flipping back a page to see where they were. Peter started reading as Aspen listened attentively by his chair at her bedside. Aspen even used her powers to carefully carry some water to the room so Peter wouldn't have to leave to get some as his voice got dryer and dryer as he read on.

Two hours later, Genevieve came in and grabbed her homework, then going out of the room to do it and leave them in peace.

A half-hour after that, Penny came in, got her headphones and phone and walked out, going to listen to music.

Another hour later, there was a knock at the door. Peter stopped reading, keeping his finger on where he was in the book and both he and Aspen looked to the door that slowly opened.

Lucy opened the door fully and stood in the doorway, "Hey guys, I just wanted to check in on how you are doing. Do you need anything?"

Peter smiled, "We're good. We have about two to three more hours to go. Maybe more, until we finish the book."

Lucy returned the smile, "That's cool. We are actually having the leftovers of your dinner. You guys can eat in here if you want to talk then keep reading?"

Aspen smiled widely, "That would be great, I made Peter promise to finish the whole book tonight!"

"Okay, just tell me when you get hungry. Uh, so what did you exactly say to Peter, Aspen?" Lucy chuckled and then brought up softly. She didn't want to wake up Aspen after they had finished reading (because no doubt would Aspen be on the cusp of sleep when they finished) and she also didn't bring it up earlier.

"Oh, " Aspen blushed timidly, stealing a quick, small, glance from Peter, "I brought up his gambling again," She trailed off at the end of the sentence.

It was kinda unspoken that no one would bring up each other's past. They all had skeleton's in the closet. One of Peter's was his gambling, he wasn't exactly proud of it then and he certainly is not proud of it now. Peter had been clean of gambling ever since he and Aspen moved in with Lucy. Lucy stayed quiet.

"I-I didn't mean too, I won't do it again," Aspen stuttered again.

Lucy nodded, "Good, we wouldn't want to bring up the bed we-" Lucy started with a small teasing smirk on her face.

"NO, no, no, no, no! We wouldn't!" Aspen quickly interrupted as soon as she knew where Lucy was going with her point.

Lucy chuckled and exited the room and Aspen looked at Peter with her red face.

Peter reached for the glass of water on the nightstand, took a big gulp of it, and cleared his throat while putting it back on the nightstand. Aspen turned her attention to her older brother.

"So, let's continue."

❝♛❞

Aww, who is your favorite relationship so far in this book and who would you like to see more of. Be sure to comment and vote if you enjoyed the story!

❝♛❞