9: The Curse of my Existence

This morning when I awoke I felt more positive and determined to give Alaric a chance. It sounds like destiny is forcing us together anyway. I got up and actually put a bit of effort into my appearance; (by effort I mean I switched out sweat pants for jeans) although there isn't much makeup in my room meaning I'm still very natural looking. My whole body aches and groans so I know today is going to be a lazy day anyway, considering I feel eighty-six years old. My door is miraculously open this morning, and an intense shot of excitement bursts within me as I realise I am free to explore. Still, I do not want to upset Alaric again – last night his howls were just awful and I felt like I would do anything to reduce his pain, so I decide to play it safe and head straight on downstairs to find everyone, and hopefully some food.

As I reach the bottom floor, I hear the muffled sound of a TV through a closed door, and the delicious smell of bacon and waffles through the passageway behind me. Of course, I choose to follow my nose, and end up twelve steps later in a state of the art modern kitchen, giving me orgasmic bliss. God, I must be getting old if a fancy kitchen gets me going! Inside I see a cold and detached Alaric sat moodily at the oak kitchen table laid perfectly for twelve people, staring outside at the polished gardens and distant forest. His eyes sweep to the side and he tenses as I enter, but he still stubbornly refuses to look at me.

"Oh, look what the cat dragged in." A voice sneers across from me, and snapping my head over I see Mila at the grill in tiny booty shorts making half her ass hang out and a tiny cami top struggling to contain her tits.

Upon further inspection, I notice the place is deserted apart from the two of them, and Mila is obviously cooking Alaric breakfast (which is a very girlfriend-y thing to do) which makes me become hot with anger. What is he doing with her all alone in here? Moreover, how is it fair that Mila is obviously a good cook when I am banned from cooking in my apartment with Carla because I would probably kill someone? Tori's warning from last night rings alarm bells in my head.

"Mila. What are you doing in here?" I hiss in a thunderous voice, wanting to pull her now cherry-coloured locks out.

"I'm cooking my Alaric breakfast, now if you would leave so we can have some peace and much needed alone time it will be much appreciated." She retorts with an obviously fake smile on her jubilant face.

Oh, how I would love to smack that expression off. I hear a low chuckle, and looking back over to Alaric I see he is now watching our exchange with lazy interest, apparently finding it funny that I am annoyed about him being alone with his side piece. Huffing dramatically, I turn to leave when Alaric finally speaks.

"Wait Jessamine, I need to talk to you." Alaric grinds out in a low voice, and with a quick glance behind me, I notice he has gone back to his unsmiling self.

God what crawled up his ass and died? Oh yeah, my rejection. Oops.

I roll my eyes and continue walking, only just exiting the kitchen when he presses himself against my back making me halt, and I forget how to breathe.

"Don't test me mate. I swear I will mark you right now..." He growls, and although I don't know what that means I feel like I will love and hate it at the same time.

"Ok." I say in a breathy whisper, causing him to take my wrist and pull me further into his spectacular house. Seriously, how is he so rich?

"Hey, where are you going Alaric?" Mila calls out in indignation, but he simply ignores her so I do the honour of flipping her the bird.

We end up outside a locked black door after passing a cinema room, indoor swimming pool and gym, which Alaric uses his handprint to open. I start to wonder whether we are going to enter into Alaric's equivalent of Mr Grey's playroom, a naughty rush of pleasure erupting down my spine, when all that is revealed is an office. It feels like a vampires cave inside, the colour scheme being red and black, and only one curtain is open casting a dark light into the room. I shiver as the quiet hum of the air-con washes over me. A floor to ceiling bookshelf holding werewolf books and successful business ones is situated at the back of the room, and a sleek black desk with a clutter of papers and cushioned leather office chair is in the centre.

The door slams shut behind us making me jump, and Alaric pushes me forward gesturing to a chair opposite his desk before collapsing into his own. I feel quite unnerved to be trapped in here with him, as the wild look in his eye doesn't scream that he is feeling the most stable right now.

"I have had enough Jessamine. I tried to be patient, sweet, understanding but nothing worked. You continue to flee from me. Well, I do not care that you do not want me. You belong to me, and I'm not going to let you go." Alaric proclaims, making me feel angry and nervous. "Later on this afternoon we will be receiving two visitors." Alaric begins, making me feel confused. Why would I care who he brings over? Unless it's prostitutes - then I definitely care.

"Listen I just want to say Alaric that I am sorry for..." I begin but he slices the words apart before they even leave my throat.

"I don't care what you're sorry for. We are past that now. Recognise this?" He asks, as he digs in his pocket and pulls out my phone with a Polaroid of my best friends Jamie, Carla and I in the back, making me gasp.

Oh no...

"Carla and Jamie seem nice, they keep on texting but I made sure Lou responded to them as you would. Of course, they were very excited that you invited them here to meet your long lost cousin who you have bonded with so well."

"W-what?" I stumble out, holding back tears.

No... He couldn't have! Now I have no choice but to do what he says, considering he holds all the advantage over me.

"You heard me, your friends are coming, and they're very excited too. Now listen up, I will give you a week or so to decide. You will submit to me and agree to be mine, or one of your friends gets it, got it? So the next time you run away, it won't be me you're hurting, it will be one of them."

"Please Alaric; I'm begging you... don't hurt my friends! They're the closest family I've got!" I beg, but my pleads fall upon deaf ears.

"It's already happening Jessamine. You should be thanking me really; I am giving you one last week with them, after you become Luna I doubt you'll be able to see them much considering they are human and cannot know about our kind. Don't even think of telling them about werewolves, or I will slice their necks before they have a chance to respond." Alaric threatens, causing the dam in my heart to break.

How could he be so cruel? How could I have been so ready to give him a chance?

"You're a monster!" I cry out as I begin to sob, and I see a flash of guilt ripple through his eyes before they harden once more. "I h-hate you!" I scream before standing and running blearily eyed to the door, desperate to escape Alaric, the curse of my existence.

I know Alaric is a massive asshole in this chapter, but just remember that he is hurting right now because his mate isn't accepting him, and there are things in his past which will come to light later on in the book about why he is so closed off and can't deal with his feelings xoxo

Edited