Chapter 32: Goodbye

Levi’s POV

Earlier, the bastard said that Kenny was always out of their hideout and only Traute knows where he is. It is a bit hesitating to think that he is doing his crimes while he is not in their place cause right now, the gang is laying low while doing their errands in the shadow. That is actually one of the reasons why I didn’t notice their return and definitely, my mistake for failing on protecting Hanji. But if there is one place I know that Kenny will go to, it would probably be our previous home. Our former hide out on the far side of the city, hidden in the middle of the forest. No one dared to go in there since the forest is notorious for its previous stories regarding killing and suicides so this part of the city is actually abandoned for years now. The last time that I have ever heard of this place is when I sold Kenny and the gang cause after that, I already turned my back on my past.

As soon as my foot stepped out of the last bush covering the sight of a cabin, my fist automatically clenched. All of my anger boiled up inside me as my eyes drew towards the man in front of me. He is sitting on the wooden steps of the cabin as if he is already expecting my appearance in this moment. Both of his arms were leaning on his knees with one of his hand holding a very familiar blade. His hat was covering most of his face but underneath the shadow, I can feel his grin gradually drawing on his lips.

His head slowly rose up until our eyes locked with one another. “Welcome back kid” he muttered with a sick grin in his face. My eyes went dark as I throw him a glare, completely stepping out of my spot. His grin widened at my expression. “Is that how you greet your old man? Huh Levi?” Kenny asked while clicking his tongue. He then stood up from the stairs and twisted the knife in his hand. It is almost the same as the one as mine because originally, the blade that I used to wield before belongs to him.

When he took another step closer to me, my right hand immediately went to my back, unsheathing my own knife before I threw myself at him. With a swift move, I pushed my knife forward, targeting his chest. But Kenny already expected my move for he dodged it in a second before drawing his blade at the side, scraping my left arm. The fabric of my hoodie was ripped and a jolt of pain immediately travelled from that spot. Blood was dripping out of my wound but I pushed it aside and just drew the knife in front of me, readying myself to launch another attack.

Kenny disappointedly sigh as he looked at me. “I can’t remember teaching you to be stupid enough to throw yourself like that Levi” he said while shaking his head. “That was a pretty bold and idiotic move”

I gritted my teeth while gripping my knife harder. “Why did you do that?” I asked, my voice filled with venom and my eyes reflecting pure anger as I glower at him.

He smirked at me while raising an eyebrow. “Do what?”

I hissed before I ran forward once again and slashed my knife forward. Kenny jumped a step back to dodge my attack. His hat fell from his head in the process as he clutched his shoulder which I barely wounded. “WHY DID YOU FUCKING DO THAT TO HER?!” I yelled turning the heel of my feet to launch another attack towards him. Kenny crouched down and he kicked me thru my legs making me lose my balance and grip from my knife. I fell on my back and my eyes widened when I coughed out an air. Before I can even stand up, Kenny went on top of me and pushed his blade towards me. I held it back just as it was about to make contact with my head.

Kenny laughed as he tried to push the blade more towards me. “You have really gone weak Levi” he said pushing it further. I groaned while I tried to fight it with all my strength. “The kid that I used to train was more coolheaded and dangerous but the one underneath me right now, is nothing but a pathetic man who is acting on his pure emotions alone” Kenny drove the knife forward and my eyes widened as I turned my head to the side. The blade scraped the side of my cheeks as it is buried right now on the ground. If I was late for even a second in dodging that, it would have been stabbed deep into my head.