Chapter 30: Unsaid Apology

Hanji's POV

My heart is beating so fast as I walked inside the alley, leading to mine and the sender's meeting place. To be honest, I can't even distinguish anymore if my heart is beating in this manner because of anxiousness that has been building inside me, or because I feel a little bit anticipating with what I am about to discover. Despite my trust on Levi, I still can't help but to find things out my way since I know that he wouldn't tell me anything otherwise. Or if there's a chance that he will, it would probably be too late. I also don't want to be taken in surprise again, just how I was before I discovered that Levi is straight. The pain and betrayal I felt that time was way too much that I don't want to go through that once again.

I gripped the straps of my handbag as I got more and more inside of the alley. The Hub is actually a very hidden night club which got burnt down 18 years ago and in this year, most people have probably forgotten about it already. It was called the "Hub" because it was literally the center of criminal activities. Human trafficking, drug selling, guns smuggling, you name it. Almost every illegal deed was done in here. The bureau were not able to seize the people involved in this because before they even cornered them, the place suddenly caught on fire, destroying every evidence and proofs that may lead them to the criminals. The investigation about the fire indicated that the case was caused by an arsonist, thus they can only guess that it was done on purpose. Kenny and his gang was one of the most prominent customers of this place and in reality, I only learned about this when I was reading an article about him.

As soon as I arrived in front of the wrecked building, I felt the air become heavier. I am not sure if it is just my imagination since fear is starting to swell up inside me, or if it is really happening right now. I looked around but it was empty and no sign of a person can be seen in the place. So I decided to just turn around but before my feet can even take a step, I felt something sharp touch my back. I froze on my spot.

"Already leaving when we haven't talked yet?" A sickening laugh errupted from behind as I felt my chest tighten and my breath fastening. I muffled a yelp that threatened to escape in my mouth when the blade was pushed more in the fabric of my clothing. It doesn't wound me yet but if I do even a single move, it would definitely bury down in me.

"W-who are you?" I asked, my voice shaking from both fear and panic. He laughed once again before the sharp thing at my back retreated. A breath of relief escaped my mouth and once I faced my perpetrator, my heart started beating in alarm.

His ash gray eyes which is currently reflecting nothing but amusement and dominance, is looking at me straight. Wrinkles are evident around it and at the side of his lips as well which is now curled into a maniac grin. I took a step behind to make a distance between us which the man just raised an eyebrow with, while looking at me in mockery.

He raised the tip of his hat with the use of his knife. "This is not the kind of meeting that I actually imagined with you, Hanji Zoe" He said, fake disappointment in his voice. I glared at him underneath my glasses which he just laughed at while stepping closer. "Why are you looking at me like that? I'm harmless right now cause I only want to see the woman who tamed my nephew after all" He smirked at me as I extended my hand to halt him from going even closer.

"I know you Kenny" I started. "And all that bullshit of yours saying that you are harmless when you evidently have a knife in your hand" I hissed, glaring even more at the old guy in front of me. "Don't mess with me and just answer my questions"

Kenny's eyes grew wide due to my remark before he started laughing. He had his arms in his stomach as he let out a maniac laugh which I am not sure if its caused by amusement or mockery. Nevertheless, I kept my guard up while looking at him intently.