Chapter 31: Payback

Nanaba’s POV

The scent of antiseptics and ethyl alcohol flared in my nose as I ran across the halls of the city hospital. The nurses and the people who I had passed looked at me in shock as they saw me, a pregnant woman sprinting on the tiled floors of the establishment. Even my husband failed on calming me down cause right now, I just wanna see her. I want to know her condition and if I even have the power to do so, I really want to put Hanji’s life out of danger.

It was past 8 in the evening when I received the call that Hanji got caught into trouble. Eventhough Mike and I just had our dinner, I didn’t waste any minute and just immediately headed to the hospital. My husband drove the car for me and all throughout the ride, he tried to calm me down when I was literally hyperventilating due to the news. It scared me that this event and action of mine might affect the baby in my womb but at the same time, I am also afraid for Hanji’s life.

But who would even do this to her? As far as I can remember, Hanji is not the type of person to make someone despise her to the point that she’ll be in this situation. Eventhough she might be a bit spontaneous and hard to handle, Hanji is the most upright person I have ever met. She is really caring and understanding and although you just met her for a short time, you’ll definitely see yourself just liking her. Hanji can never do something for her to experience this.

I turned the corner, arriving at the nurses’ station where I am planning to ask for Hanji’s ward. But before I can even inquire, my eyes caught a familiar figure which is sitting at the floor with his head down low. His left leg is resting on the ground while his other leg is straight in front of him. His arms is placed on his knee where he leaned his head, the raven hair of him covering some parts of it. I walked towards the man and as soon as I got in front of him, his body slightly flinched and he looked up. His face was blank and his eyes were really dead. I almost failed to recognize him because of his expression.

“Levi..” I muttered. “What happened to her?” I asked him but he just once again placed his head low on his arms. The sight made me mad. “What the heck are you doing?” I said with gritted teeth before I pulled him up by his arms. “Why are you being like that?!” I yelled at the man who just grew limp in front of me. His head is still down low. I clenched my teeth and I was about to smack him at his face when a grasp at my wrist halted me. I looked behind and I saw my husband shaking his head at me, clearly disapproving with what I am about to do. But it just pisses me off so much. I mean, his girlfriend is trying so hard to fight for her life yet here he is, acting as if she already died.

Mike let go of my wrist. “Let him be for now Nanaba” he told me which made me frown. I planned on talking back at him but I stopped when I heard a silent low sob. With wide eyes, I looked at the person in front of me and to my shock, his shoulders were shaking a bit as his head remained low. His fist was clenched and his knuckles are even turning white because of it. Levi, who I have known as a cold and emotionless person, is shedding a tear. The man who my husband regarded as the strongest he has ever known is openly showing his vulnerability to us. And it all rooted because of one person. All because of Hanji.
The sight made me so shock that I couldn’t say any word. I just stared at him with my eyes still wide and my mouth slightly open. Mike was behind me, his hand at my shoulder, gently rubbing it.

“Excuse me” a voice called from behind of us. I turned my body around and I was greeted by a man who seemed to be in his late forty’s. A hospital gown was on top of his gray polo and a stethoscope was hanging from his shoulders. He flashed us a tired, small smile. “Who in here is Ms. Zoe’s family?” the doctor asked, his eyes scanning the three of us. I looked at Levi but he didn’t bulged on his spot so I answered instead.

“I’m one of her closest friends. Nanaba Zacharias” I introduced myself, walking towards him. “Hanji’s family is not in here so I have been looking after her for some time now” I said which made the doctor slightly convinced. He nodded his head at me.