HG55. Thoughts of a Cremated Heart

Chapter Fifty Five

Daniel's Point of View

I don't know what pained me more.

The sight of my family crying or the ache in my head.

Hindi ko alam kung anong nangyari kagabi. Basta ang alam ko, pinilit kong pumunta sa reception ng kasal ni Kathryn, dahil alam kong magiging masaya siya kapag nakarating ako. Umiiyak ako, nagmamakaawa kay Seth, pero hindi nila ako pinayagan. Hanggang sa naubusan ako ng luha at bigla na lang sumakit ang ulo.

Masakit.

Sa sobrang sakit, sinabi ko kay Seth na sumusuko na ako sa universe. Sinabi kong hindi ko na kaya.

Umiyak si Seth.

Umiyak si Lester.

Umiyak si Katsumi.

Umiyak si JC.

Binuhat nila ako sa kotse ni Lester at dinala ako sa ospital. Sa sobrang sakit ng ulo ko, wala akong maalala. Hindi ko alam kung paano nalaman ni Mama. Hindi ko alam kung kailan sila dumating. At hindi ko alam kung bakit wala akong maramdaman ngayon, bukod sa sakit ng ulo ko.

Hindi ako makakilos.

Hindi ako makapagsalita.

I felt paralyzed and I didn't know what to do.

Nakita ako ni Mama na gising na, lumapit siya agad at niyakap ako. Umiiyak pa rin siya.

"I'm sorry, anak. I'm so sorry." She cried. Why is she apologizing? "I'm sorry dahil wala ako dito kagabi. I'm so sorry, hinding hindi na kita iiwan."

I couldn't speak, even if I badly want to.

All I know was I needed to stop.

Sometimes, I think love is not an emotion, but a choice. We all have a choice in this world. You can choose the one you'll love, but you can't choose the one who will love you back. There's always a choice. Like, even when it comes to the person who will hurt you.

And I chose Kathryn Chandria Bernardo, the love of my life.

And I like my choices.

But something deep inside me tells me that I needed to stop choosing her.

Even if I wanted to do so, I couldn't find a part of my heart that tells me to move on. Kathryn was not just someone you can let go.

Laging tinatanong sa akin ni Seth if it was hard to let her go.

He had no idea, not even the slightest idea of how hard it was.

It is hard because I had this woman who became a huge chunk of my life, a woman who lit fires in the darkest parts of me and then she left me.

The fires had burned out, and now I had a hole in my heart that's why it hurts to let go.

You can try to fix a broken heart, slowly putting the pieces back together one by one and it's possible to mke a recovery. But you can't even attempt to put together thousands of dust particles that make up the ashes left in my heart.

The thing about heart break, or in my case, heart cremation, is that you don't know what to do next. Without a viable heart, how am I supposed to be normal tomorrow? How am I supposed to live normally? How am I supposed to wake up?

How can I even breathe?

And you know what hurts most about a cremated heart?

Not being able to remember how you felt before.