HG24. Beers under the moonlight

Chapter Twenty Four

There are times when I wonder how the universe works.

Paano kaya niya nagagawa lahat ng ito? I mean, hindi lang naman kami ni Kathryn ang tao sa mundo. Paano niya napagsasabay-sabay ayusin at paglaruan ang mga buhay ng tao? Halimbawa, sina JC at Gabby, Daezen at Katsumi, Seth at Annika, Lester at Mae... Paano niya nagawang ayusin ang mga lovelife nila nang sabay-sabay?

Bilib din ako sa kayang gawin ng universe.

Times like this when I am grateful for everything. To think na stable ang trabaho ko, malapit ko nang mapagtapos yung isa kong kapatid at nabibigyan ko nang maayos na buhay ang pamliya ko. Tapos ngayon, unti unti ko nang naayos ang nasira ko pitong taon na ang nakalipas. I'm lucky, that 's true. Kasi sa dinami-dami ng tao sa mundo, at sa hinaba-haba ng panahong nagkalayo kami ni Kath, pinagtagpo ulit kami ng universe.

"Lalim nang iniisip natin ha."

I looked up to see Kath looking down at me with two bottles of beer in her hands.

"May I join you?" She asked handing me the other beer. "What are you doing here? It's already so late. Remember what the doctor told you about getting enough sleep sleep?"

She sat down at the sand beside me and took a gulp from her beer.

"Kailan ka pa umiinom?" I asked.

"I'm legal, okay? I can drink anytime." She answered and took another sip. "I asked you a question first. What are you doing here?"

"Couldn't sleep." I shrugged. "What time is it?" I asked and took a gulp of the cold root beer.

"About 1 in the morning." She answered. "Can I tell you a story?" I nodded and took another sip of the beer.

"When I was in New York, I used to wake up at 1 in the morning. Not exactly 1, though. Basta between 1-2 in the morning." She took another sip from her drink. "I really don't know why, basta kapag nagigising ako, pumupunta ako sa terrace, overlooking the city lights with only the moon and stars as my companions. I was not exactly sad, pero I felt like every time I woke up at dawn, I was alone; I was empty. That's when I overthink a lot. Lahat nang problema ko naiisip ko, and I felt so worthless; like ever since I left the Philippines, wala na akong silbi."

I just stared at her as she watched the waves under the moonlight.

"Wala na akong silbi kasi wala ka na." She stated out of nowhere. By that moment, akala ko na titigil na siya sa pagkwekwento. I know how uncomfortable she is when it comes to this topic. By I thought wrong. "Kasi alam mo, ikaw yung dahilan ng buhay ko noon dito sa Pilipinas. Ikaw yung dahilan kung bakit nagpursigi ako. Kung baga, sa'yo nagrevolve yung buhay ko dito. Tapos, in a snap, bigla kang mawawala. Ang sakit lang." She laughed and took another sip from her beer.

"Kath, nakailang bote ka na ba?" I asked.

"Three... Four? I don't know. Who cares?" She shrugged and drank again.

"You're drunk," I stated. "tama na yan. You'll regret this in the morning."

"Why would I regret?" She asked when she stopped drinking. "I don't regret things I did, DJ. Kahit anong nangyayari sa buhay ko, hinding hindi ako nagsisisi. After all, everything happens for a reason."

"Why not?" I asked. "Kasi ako, may mga bagay na sobrang pinagsisisihan ko."

"That's because you're too damn stupid to comprehend with the universe' reasons." She stated. "Lahat naman may dahilan eh."

I nodded.

"Now, where was I? Ikaw kasi eh, I was in the middle of talking, you interrupted me." She slurred. "Yun nga, I was so lost. I felt empty. Wala akong magawa noon, I just secluded myself in my room reading stupid novels and watching sweet flicks. And then I realized something."