HG53. Forever

Chapter Fifty Three

"DJ, anak, keep your eyes open for me." Mama whispered as she hugged me in the backseat of Papa's car. "Anak, please, hold on. Once we get to the hospital, pwede mo nang ipikit ang mga mata mo. For now, stay awake for me." She whispered and kissed my forehead.

I could barely keep my eyes wide open. With all of the strength left in me, I tried my best to at least breathe normally.

Mama held my hand tightly.

"DJ, anak," I heard Papa spoke from the driver's seat. I could barely see him, everything was just blurry. "Open your eyes anak, malapit na tayo, please."

I don't know what happened.

It was a week after I went to Dom's house. I was feeling good the whole week, like I don't have a deadly disease inside of me.

But then, I woke up in the middle of the night with my head throbbing and pounding in pain. I couldn't even scream. I crawled my way towards Mama and Papa's room.

That explains why we're here in Papa's car, driving all the way to the hospital.

"Ma... di ko na kaya... Ma, ang sakit na ng ulo ko... Pa, please.... Bilisan mo..." I barely whispered these words over and over.

The pain in my head hit me, and every second was worse than the last.

Para bang lumabas lahat ng sakit na naipon sa utak ko sa linggong ito.

Everything was a blur.

But I knew that Mama and Papa carried me to the Emergency Room; and that the nurses quickly took me from their arms. I heard doctors commanding nurses, and nurses quickly obliging.

Naramdaman kong may itinusok sila sa kaliwa kong kamay. Naramdaman kong hinahawakan nila ang kamay ko. Naramdaman kong tinitignan nila ang blood pressure ko.

At higit sa lahat, naramdaman kong nanghina ang buong katawan ko bukod sa sakit na idinudulot ng ulo - para bang, mamamatay na ako.

--

The moment I opened my eyes, I regretted it.

The light blinded me, causing me to shut it tightly. I sighed in relief when I didn't feel the heavy weight on my head that was killing me before I became unconscious.

I was about to open my eyes again when I heard sobs.

I know those sobs all too well, from Mama. I could hear Papa hushing her and telling her that it was going to be okay.

I want to open my eyes, but I don't know if I could handle the pain of what I'm gonna see.

"Ayoko... Ayokong mawala siya..." Mama cried.

"Shhh, tahan na..." Papa whispered. "Wala namang may gustong mawala siya."

"Natatakot ako, natatakot ako." Mama whimpered. "Hindi ko kakayanin, Rommel. Hindi ko alam kung matatanggap ko."

"Walang makakatanggap," Papa sighed, "this is hard for me as much as it is for you."

"Hindi mo ba narinig yung doktor, Rommel?" Mama asked angrily. "He might not make it next month if he still refuse to take the medications. Maaari siyang mawala sa susunod na linggo, o bukas makalawa, o bukas. Rommel, pwede siyang mawala sa atin ngayon. Hindi ko kakayanin."

Papa sighed but he did not speak. Soon, Mama's cries and sobs stopped and there was silence.

I was about to open my eyes and pretend that I just woke up, when I heard the door creak open.