HG50. Knock Knock

Chapter Fifty

Narrator's Point of View

Kathryn hated hospitals.

She's never been a big fan of white walls, the odor of medicine or the silent cries of people weeping around her. She walked through the hospital corridors as she bit her nails. She wasn't worried that her newly manicured nails were now ruined, she was more worried of how he'll react.

She has made her decision.

And now she was already in front of the room that the nurse told her.

"Kakatok pa ba ako?" She asked herself. "Of course, dumb." She answered herself.

She lifted her clenched hand, but she didn't knock. Hindi niya alam kung tama ba ang gagawin niya.

Sa totoo lang, alam niyang tama ito. Kailangan niya itong gawin, dahil ito ang sinasabi ng puso niya.

Pero nahihiya siya. Makikinig kaya si Daniel sa kanya?

"It's now or never." She mumbled to herself, but she just couldn't get herself to knock. She sighed again.

"Paano ba 'to?" She asked. "Damn it."

She took a step backwards then closed her eyes. She was about to take a step forward and finally knock when she heard a deep voice.

"What are you doing?"

Startled, she opened her eyes to see who was talking.

"Uh, Seth," she greeted with a nervous smile, "uhm, I'm just here to.."

"Ano pa ba ang hindi mo nasabi sa kanya?" Seth asked. "Okay lang na sabihin mo sa akin, ako na lang mismo ang magsasabi sa kanya."

"Uhm," Kath looked down, "I planned to speak to him alone. I have to give him something."

"Ano?" Seth asked. "Anong heartbreak?"

Kath swallowed. "Uhm, Set-"

"We've had enough." He stated. "Actually, not me, Daniel's had enough of your words Kath."

Kath sighed. "Seth, please, ngayon lang ako nagkaroon ng courage na pumunta dito. Please, let me just speak to him."

"Nasa loob si Tita Karla." Seth stated. "You might as well want to ask for her permission first."

Kath looked down to her feet.

She wanted to ask Seth why he was treating her this way. But, she couldn't.

She deserved all of these - the silent and cold treatment from her old friends, she deserved them all.

Seth went inside the room, but Kath didn't move. The door was left halfway open though, so she could hear the voices from inside.

"Tita Karla, someone's outside." She heard Seth say.

"Sino?"

Nanlambot si Kath sa boses na narinig niya - boses ni Daniel.

He still sounds the same, only that it was evident how weak he was. It was only a single word, but there she was, already starting to shake and her palms were now sweaty.

Seth sighed. "Someone," he mumbled.

"Sino ba yun?" Karla asked. "Papasukin mo na lang."

Seth looked at Karla seriously. He couldn't bring himself to speak her name when Daniel's around.

Karla sighed, she knew who was outside.

"Sige, iwanan ko muna kayo dito. Seth, wag kang makulit ha, pagpahingahin mo si DJ." Karla stated as she go up from the couch. Seth giggled and nodded as he and Daniel watched Karla walk towards the door.