REAL LIFE.

The knock on Alicia's door caused her to jump.

Before she knew it, she was panicking. She hadn't had any time to get ready,she was still in her gray pants and sagging t-shirt.

Alicia ran to the door and whisper-yelled, "just a minute!"before running back to her mirror, putting her hair up quickly. She clearly had no time for makeup, so she walked back to the door, opening it.

"Hi!"

Aaron was standing there, smiling. He spots as tall as the door frame, with one hand in his pocket and the other holding his laptop.

"Hi," she replied smiling, lightly. "Thanks for coming."

"No problem. It's kinda important." When he laughed, his eyes closed briefly. She thought her heart was gonna just out of her chest and right out at his feet.

"Um do u wanna come in? My parents are sleeping, and I have to finish making the lineup, but.."

He glanced at his feet seemingly embarrassed. "No, thanks. I don't wanna wake your parents up or anything.."

"Oh, sorry." Alicia chuckled nervously, jamming her hand nervously in the pockets of her sweat pants.

"No, that's not what I meant, I mean..." He sighed, glancing around. And then, suddenly, he looked at her intensely and continued, "do you like bowling?"

"Yeah..?" She was somewhat confused, but a tiny part of her thought that maybe, just maybe, he was about to ask her out.

Aaron tapped his fingers on the laptop, nervously? "Me, Giancarlo, Didi, gleyber and Miguel are all going bowling tonight. Do you want to..come, maybe?

Her heart sank, but then she remembered how bad she was with people in one-on-one situations and figured she'd probably embarrass herself. "Sure!"

"Okay," Aaron grinned at her before a look of realization appeared on his face. "Oh, the laptop! Here." She laughed, taking it from him. "We'll pick you up at, at what, four? Five?"

"Five?" She repeated. "I just want to make sure I have time to finish everything. You know just in case, you know..?"

-

I know, but what do I wear, Erica?

"That's easy. The green ensemble you've got living in your closet? That's hit as fuck ." Alicia could see her bestfriend continuing to paint her nails form FaceTime.

"I only brought that because you told me to," she replied, rummaging through her closet. "I haven't worn it once.."

"You have to wear it. You have no choice," Erica said, as if she hadn't spoken a word.

"I found the pants. I have no idea where the shirt is." And she wanted to add, 'and I don't really want to know.'

"Fine." Erica looked directly at Alicia through the camera. "I don't even know why I bother if you'll never take my advice anyway, but I have an alternative. "Wear the black sweatshirt that's on the right side of your closet."

"It has crude language on it and it's Sammy's," Alicia answered, throwing it on her bed anyway.

"Would you stop making excuses for three seconds?" Her friend reached for the top coat and began twisting the lid off. "It would look cute. Trust me."

"Are you sure?" Alicia asked, re voice full of nervousness. "I don't know.."

"Alicia Michelle, you will be the death of me. You obviously like this boy, and I'm giving you the greatest outfit ideas. Wear that one. And find those green sneakers, it would make it look even cuter."

"Isn't that clashing?"

Erica sighed. "Not if they match. Now let's figure out your hair."

-

When the car beeped outside, the five members in Alicia's family looked up at her.

"Who's that" her father asked from the couch. Last nights yankees game against the jays was playing on tv that he had been watching intently for the last hour and a half.

"Just some friends, Alicia said quickly. She grabbed her sneakers and shoved her feet in them.

"You don't have friends," her brother said from the floor. He started turning up the volume on the tv.

"Shut up Elijah." Alicia's sister, Olivia, snapped from next to him. She took the remote from him and flicked his head.

"Hey, this kids on her period or something," Elijah laughed.

"At least while mm was pregnant with us, I got all the brain cells." Olivia turned to Alicia and smiled. "Have fun with Sammy and Erica, okay? I'm making dinner tonight because moms working late at the diner, so I'll make some for you just in case."

"Thanks. Will Isaac be her later?"

" I don't know, I think Isaac took Santiago to see Jocelyn. The custody agreement says that she gets to see Santiago every month." Alicia stood up, tossing the remote to their father.

"Oh! Jesus, I have to go! See you all later! Alicia tied her last sneaker before runn gn was it the door, waving to her father one last time.