Ch. 37: Developments and Doubts

"All Might?" Izuku was shocked to see his mentor in his house. All Might had been there before, sure, but usually Izuku knew when the man was going to be present. This had caught him completely off-guard.

"Hello, Young Midoriya," All Might said, smiling to his successor. Izuku smiled back, but there was still a look of confusion on his face. At this, All Might let out a small chuckle. "Yes, I can see you don't understand why I'm here, my boy." Izuku idly nodded, still trying to wrap his head around everything, his mind running a mile a minute. Though, unlike just a moment ago, he wasn't muttering, as words were unable to be formed.

"Izuku, honey," the voice of his mother finally broke him out of the stupor he was in as he looked in her direction. "There's something we need to discuss with you."

*****

Izuku was heading back to the dorms after his day with his mom and All Might. Those two were dating. It had apparently happened shortly after the battle with Overhaul, when they had reconnected at the hospital visiting Izuku.

Oh, Mina's going to have a field day with this, Izuku thought to himself, before a different thought crossed his mind. Oh, no. Todoroki's going to have a field day with this. He was honestly dreading telling the hybrid-quirk user about it. His whole 'Izuku is All Might's love child' would gain a sense of confirmation, even if not directly correct.

He chuckled to himself at the whole situation. He was honestly happy for his mother and his Hero. Ever since All Might had taken Izuku under his wing, and granted him One for All, he had already looked up to the former number 1 as a father figure. And he made Inko happy, and that mattered the most to Izuku.

As he entered the front doors to the dorms, he saw a few of his friends and classmates gathered in the common area. Noticeably absent was his girlfriend, Mina. He looked over to Iida and Uraraka cuddled up on one of the couches.

"Hey, guys," he said, greeting them. They smiled at him in return.

"Hey, Deku!" Uraraka called out, while Iida nodded to the other boy.

"Midoriya, I hope your day off has been productive," Iida said. Izuku nodded before doing another look around.

"Do you guys know where Mina is?" he asked. The two looked to think for a moment before Uraraka spoke up.

"Last I saw her she was going to her room, so...probably there?" she responded bubbly.

"Thanks, Uraraka," and, with a promise to catch up and hang out later, Izuku made his way up to his girlfriend's room. Not for the first time did that thought give him a sense of elation. But, in true Midoriya fashion, also a looming sense of dread that the whole thing would come crashing down on Izuku. He knew he shouldn't feel that way, and had been a lot better since dating Mina about not letting those thoughts take hold.

But he still had his doubts. And questions. And....great, now they're creeping in to my mind, Izuku thought, as he had reached said girl's door. He was going to knock when he noticed the door was slightly opened. His first instinct was getting in a defensive position, ready for anything, when he heard the voices coming from the room.

"Mimi, when is Izuzu coming back?" the gentle, almost silent voice of Eri spoke. Mimi and Izuzu were the names she called the curly haired couple when she initially couldn't pronounce their names. She could now, but the names had stuck, and everyone had found it adorable.

"I'm not sure, Eri-berry, but hopefully soon," Mina's reassuring voice spoke to the child. Izuku considered interrupting if it weren't for Eri's next question.

"Can you sing for me, Mimi, like you do to get me to sleep?" the innocent girl asked. This was news to Izuku. Of course, he also wasn't privy to the nightly ritual that was the little girl's bedtime routine.

"Of course, love," Mina replied, and began singing. Her voice entranced Izuku. It was different than the songs Izuku was used to hearing his girlfriend sing along to. There was a love to her voice, as she sang to the girl in her arms. He couldn't help the smile that crossed his face, or the tears that welled up in his eyes as he listened.

Unfortunately, the song had to end, and Izuku would be lying if he wasn't a little disappointed with that fact. Eri seemed just as disappointed, and was about to ask for another song...if she hadn't looked over to the door to see Izuku standing there.

"Izuzu!!" she called out, leaping out of Mina's lap to run to the green-haired boy. The boy bent down, smiling as he scooped the little girl into his arms. Mina had gotten up from sitting, her face beaming seeing her boyfriend and Eri embraced.

"Hey, Eri," Izuku spoke to the girl. "Have you been having fun today and being good for Mina?" The girl smiled widely at him.

"Yes! Me and Mimi had so much fun!" the girl could barely contain her excitement. "And then, she sang to me. Her voice is so pretty!" Izuku looked over to Mina lovingly.

"I heard, and it really is pretty...just like Mimi." The girl nodded vigorously at his words before he continued. "Do you think you can play in your room for a little while so I can speak with Mimi real quick?" This caused the pink-skinned girl to look a little confused, but Eri smiled and nodded before heading off to the room right next to Mina's.

"What's going on, Izu?" Mina asked when Eri was out of earshot, still a little confused, but smiling to her boyfriend nonetheless. Izuku sighed, his smile fading a little. He looked contemplative.

"I don't know what I ever did to deserve you," he finally said. His voice was blissful, but there was a hint of doubt there. "You're so amazing. And how you are with Eri...." his voice faltered, and the smile he had fell. Seeing it caused Mina to frown and embrace her boyfriend.

"Izu, what's really bothering you?" she asked, trying to comfort the boy. She knew he worked hard with his self-esteem, but there were times, like now, where he faltered. They were becoming fewer and usually less, but Mina was always there, always willing to support the man she loved.

"What if....Aizawa hadn't paired us together for that project all those months ago?" he finally let out, and it clicked for Mina what he meant. "Did we only grow close because of the project? Would you even think about hanging out with me? And if you did, would a friendship have evolved into...well, this?" The questions hung in the air. Mina knew Izuku had a point. But at the same time....

"Yes, there are a lot of what ifs, Izu," she replied, calmly, yet still supportive. "Who's to say what would have happened had we been assigned different partners. I did know that before that, I wanted to get to know you better. I love making new friends. And I don't know if it would have progressed." The words hit Izuku, more or less confirming his fears. He thought about telling her that she was better off without him, but anything he had to say was stopped by her next words.

"But, honestly, I don't care about all of that," she continued. "Because I am here with you. We did get together. Regardless of how, or how cliche in might have been. None of that matters. I'm glad things turned out the way they did. Because I have an amazing boyfriend who I love with all of my heart, and no one, not even your doubts, can convince me that I shouldn't be with you. I love you Izuku Midoriya."

Mina's words had a calming effect on Izuku, and it gave him resolve. He looked up to her, his eyes meeting hers, and she could see the fire emanating from them. She smiled widely as he returned her embrace.

"I love you so much, Mina."