Ch. 9: A Rescue and the Impact It Has

Izuku and Mina quickly made their way to the office building. It was four stories high, and, once Izuku got a good look, seemed to still be structurally stable overall. He noted the fire that had resulted from the explosion was currently on the top two floors, but seemed to be contained to the corner of the building. Even though everything seemed to be stable now, they would still have to act quick.

"Mina, we need to get to that area and rescue anyone caught there," he said. She nodded, ready to help as necessary. She knew what her powers could do, but was more than willing to let Izuku take lead, since he had the better mind for strategy. "But, we do need to be cautious. We don't know if a Villain caused this or if it was something else. So, keep an eye out."

"You can count on me, Izu," she said, giving him a smile and a wink. He returned the smile. Heroes had to smile, and, to Izuku, Mina had that part down. He activated full cowl as she used her Acid to slide towards the building. As they drew closer, they could see people running away from the area. Luckily, a few people seemed to be keeping everyone calm. Izuku and Mina approached one of them.

"My name is Deku, and this is Pinky," he introduced himself to the woman. "We're here to help. Are there any injuries you've seen thus far?" The woman, looking relieved, shook her head.

"Oh, thank goodness, Heroes." Though they were still in training, now was not the time to tell the woman such. "From what we've seen, no injuries so far, but we believe there are still people trapped inside." Izuku took note of everything as Mina spoke up.

"Would you happen to know if this was a Villain attack?" she asked, feeling the need to get as much information as possible. Izuku gave her an approving look as the woman answered.

"No Villain," she said with certainty. "We think it was some sort of faulty equipment, or someone wasn't careful with something." Izuku nodded, a little relieved.

"You and the others are doing a good job out here keeping people calm," he told her. "We're going to go see what we can do to get the trapped people out." With that, Izuku and Mina made their way to the building.

Using the stairwell, they quickly made their way to the third floor. Izuku looked around at the fire. It seemed to be mostly contained, but they would still have to avoid some areas.

"Is anyone in here?" he called out. After a few seconds, he heard a faint voice.

"Over here!" He and Mina quickly made their way over to the source of the voice, avoiding the fires and fallen debris. It didn't take them long to find the source. It was a middle aged man. He was covered in soot, though didn't seem burned.

"Are you injured?" Izuku asked when he was close enough.

"I'm fine," he responded. "Minor bruises and scrapes, maybe. But I need help to get her out." Izuku and Mina had made their way around to where the man was indicating. Trapped under some debris was a woman. A woman Izuku immediately recognized.

"Mrs. Bakugo?" he said, but moved over to the woman quickly, checking for vitals. Mina also inspected her.

"Bakugo's mom?" she asked. Izuku nodded.

"She's breathing, and it doesn't seem too labored," he was saying. "How about on your end?" Mina gave another look.

"Doesn't look too serious. Hopefully just trapped." Izuku nodded again, getting in position. Calling upon full cowl once again, he effortlessly lifted the debris off of Mitsuki. Once he did, Mina immediately went to check her again. She groaned before her eyes fluttered open. She looked around.

"Izu-ku?" she said before passing back out.

*****

It didn't take all that long to get everyone out. Aside from Mitsuki Bakugo and the man that was with her, there had only been one other person in the building. Mitsuki seemed to have the worst of the injuries. Paramedics, police, and firefighters were on scene just as Izuku and Mina had brought the last person out. Mitsuki was transported to the hospital, and the others were attended to on spot.

Izuku and Mina, after showing the police that they had their Provisional Licenses, had to give a small report to the police. The officer in charge semi-joked that if they were full Pros, the report would be much more tedious. It had definitely lightened the mood a bit, but Izuku was worried about Mrs. Bakugo. He let the officer know that she was the mother of one of their classmates.

Soon after, Izuku and Mina decided to head back to UA. Though they would have liked to continue on, their extended curfew was drawing close. Plus, in the back of their minds, they were afraid news of the incident would find it's way to Aizawa, and they'd be in trouble on just the first night of their reward.

They got to the UA Dorms and walked inside. Sure enough, the news had spread, as the whole class had gathered in the common room to check on the pair. One noticeable absence was Bakugo. After talking about the incident with their classmates for a few minutes, the door to the Dorms opened again. Eyes went wide at the sight of their homeroom teacher. The moment Izuku and Mina had quietly been dreading was upon them.

"Everyone but Midoriya and Ashido, head to your rooms," he said, leaving no room for argument or comments. Everyone silently exited and headed out. Once the last of them were gone, Aizawa looked at the pair. Before he had a chance to speak, Izuku stepped forward.

"Mr. Aizawa, sir," he said, conviction in his eyes. "I take full responsibility for what we did. Mina was just following my lead. She shouldn't be punished, and should be allowed to keep the reward you bestowed upon us." Mina was a little shocked, but felt her heart clench that he would do that for her. She intervened.

"No, Izuku. You shouldn't take full responsibility on this. I followed on my own accord." She reflexively took his hand in hers, as she looked to Aizawa with the same resolve and conviction in her eyes that Izuku had. Aizawa shook his head, but let out a small, barely noticeable smile.

"Neither of you are in trouble," he finally said, which caused the two students' faces to give a small hint of confusion. "Yes, it is preferable that any Hero work you do be done under the supervision of a Pro. But, you both have your Provisional Licenses, so you taking action is no longer frowned upon." He gave Izuku a side glance, a reminder of the boy's previous actions before the License Exam. "Besides, none of my three stipulations were broken.

"One. You still made it back before your extended curfew. Though, given the circumstances, that probably could have been overlooked. Two. Time hasn't passed enough to determine if this affected your grades. And three. What you did in no way reflected badly on UA. If anything, this could end up reflecting good on UA. What I've come to talk to you about is two things.

"First. I wanted to commend you both on your actions. Second, I wanted to let you know that Bakugo has been given permission to be at the hospital with his mother. I don't have anything definitive, but I have heard she should be alright. And that is thanks to the actions of you two. The class already knows that Bakugo has left. Now, why don't the two of you head to bed. I'm sure you've had an eventful night." They both nodded as their homeroom teacher left.

The two stood there for a moment longer. They finally relaxed as they turned towards one another. They could each see the exhaustion on the other.

"He's right," Izuku finally said. "We should get some rest." As they made their way to the separate ends of the building to their respective dorms, he stopped and turned towards the girl. "Oh, I'm sorry we got interrupted. What did you want to ask about tonight." Mina turned towards him. They were far enough away that he couldn't see the lilac that dusted her face.

"Oh. We can, um, talk about it later, okay?" She gave him a reassuring, but tired smile. She felt they needed to be less exhausted for what she wanted to say.

"I...Okay," he smiled sweetly back to her. "Good night, Mina."

"G'night, Izu."

A/N: Congrats to @dannychills for correctly guessing Mitsuki Bakugo as our surprise guest. Her inclusion is important. Stay tuned. :)