2 - Stars

Day 2, by Snowstorm174

This one can be considered to be linked to Wish and First, if you want to think about it that way.

"Do you ever wonder what stars are? Where light comes from?" Cross asked Error. The glitchy skeleton had kindly agreed to go stargazing with him, as he loved the stars and always appreciated a chance to visit Outertale.

"Well... a wise woman once told me that every star up there is another world," replied Error, his eyelights twinkling like the stars he loved.

"There's a scientific explanation too, but I like Error's better," said Outer, who had come over to join them when he had seen them arrive, before letting himself fall back onto the grass.

"I like that idea... someday, I want to see all of the worlds," said Cross quietly, gazing off at the stars in awe.

"Maybe, if I escape Fate's hold, we can do that," said Error, smiling sadly at the younger skeleton.

He knew all too well that he would never be able to escape his job. Not even death could free him of it- he'd tried, even leaping into the Void hadn't worked. Something good had come out of that last attempt, though- it had led him to Cross, who he loved like a son.

"Yeah. Someday we WILL do that," said Cross fiercely. "I swear it!"

"Don't make a promise you can't keep, Cross," said Error, wrapping his arms around the younger in a fatherly hug. "Fate owns me, there will be no escaping her in my future."

"I'll free you!" Cross exclaimed, his eyelights glowing an orangey red. "And that's a promise!"

———

"I'm... free?" Error exclaimed, looking at his soul, free of the dark chains that had encircled it for so long.

"I made a promise, dad," said Cross, gazing up at the same stars they had looked up on all those years ago, when he had promised to free his pseudo-father. "I always keep my promises."

"Thank you, Cross," said Error, hugging the younger skeleton tightly as his eyelights glowed a brilliant emerald green. "Let's go keep that other promise, eh? It's been a long time since we got a chance to just visit a world, without a reason to be there."

"Yeah!" Cross exclaimed, his childish nature shining through. "It'll be awesome!"