45.

I look at myself in my mirror with no feeling coursing through me at all, yet again. I try making myself look more alive. More..presentable. I dab my makeup sponge under my eyes for the hundredth time, it does nothing good enough for me again. I sigh when I glance at the time, accepting it was as good as it was going to get.

Standing up, I straighten the long sleeves of my maroon blouse, pulling a little at my dark denim jeans. I pull my leather jumper on and head out the door.

"Hey, I'll take you to school kiddo." Dad says, sliding me my toast.

"You sure?" I take a bite out of the buttery, crunchy bread.

"I'm dropping your mother off at the firm anyway."

I nod, smiling lightly.

"Hey, you're gonna be okay." Mom says, kissing my forehead.

"Yeah." I croak.

We leave as soon as mom finishes her coffee. I hop in the back seat, strapping myself in. I try calming the butterflies and nerves in my belly, like I'd been trying to do all morning.

I look down at my phone, hoping to distract myself from the fact I was going back to school, opening up my messages. I stare at Hayden and I's conversation automatically, opening up the thread and starting from the very top.

The first message he ever sent me was when I left for the party with Kate.

My mind flashes back to that night, all that time ago. I was still with Truitt..on my way to see him. Hayden was nothing but an annoying distraction while my parents were away. Katie and I were close as sisters.

Now all of them were gone.

"Have a good day at school. Call me if you need to." Dad says, squeezing my knee.

"Bye sweetie." Mom says, waving as I leave the car.

I take a deep breath, exhaling shakily.

Here we were.

. . .

I grab lunch and head to the gym. I find a comfortable place and begin munching. The day had been relievingly uneventful so far. Despite a few whispers and stares at the beginning, everyone seemed to mind their own shit.

I stare down at my egg and mayo sandwich, suddenly losing my appetite. The sound of heels clicking on the wooden floor rings in my ears and I start packing up, expecting a teacher.

"Zoey." Kate appears around the bleachers.

I sigh, rolling my eyes.

"And so it begins. Can we not do this?" I frown at her, and she puts her arms up.

"I'm not here to start anything. I just wanted to...well..apologise. I've been a right bitch to you, and it wasn't fair. I'm sorry about everything that's happened. Sincerely."

I furrow my brows at her, trying to read her.

"I don't need your apologies. Nothing you say or do now can fix anything. Just do me a favour and fuck off." I get up, throwing my leftovers into the trash.

"Zoey wait-"

"I don't wanna hear it Kate!" I raise my voice, and she stops.

With nothing left in the air, I continue to leave.

The bell rings, and I check my schedule. I scream bloody murder in my head, realising I had a class with Truitt.

Here goes.

. . .

He sat all the way at the back, where I was planning to. Strike one, I thought.

He makes eye contact with me, and shifts uncomfortably in his chair. I take a seat around the middle.

I feel Truitt's eyes bearing into the back of my skull as the class went on, on top of the usual awkward stares and glances from my fellow classmates.

As soon as the bell rings, I pack my bag up as fast as I can.

"Wait, Zoey-"

"I have nothing to say to you." I push past the crowd and leave the classroom, heading straight to the toilet.

I let out a sigh, leaning over the sink. I look at myself in the mirror, bags under my eyes, frizzy hair, dry skin crusting my lips. I splash some water on my face.

I want to bail.

I take my phone out, ready to call dad, but my eyes land on a missed call. Hayden

"You have one voicemail--- Hey, it's me..I've settled in, and the weather greeted me with thunderstorms all day," he pauses a moment to chuckle lightly. My heart keeps it's fast pace throughout the call.

"Look, I uh...I just wanted to say that I love you too, since you didn't give me a chance to last time. And I'm gonna miss you, Zoey. So much." I head him sniffle, and my eyes begin to flood.

"Um," he chokes

"So I guess that's it. I love you. Goodbye Zoey."

The call clicks off. And I guess that was it. Officially.