14.

"So I called your Aunt Jenna, your cousins from dad's side are also making their way over, I'm not sure you've met them, I..." Mom's voice drowns out of my head as I drift into a daydream. She hasn't stopped planning my birthday party for three days now. She spent every minute she was around me talking about, and,m don't get me wrong, I love her so much for it, but it just gets too much to handle.

"I'm gonna get a drink."

She continues talking about my distant cousin Petunia or whats-her-name as I trot over to the kitchen.

"So, the big 1-8 ey?" Hayden leans on the wall, one leg crossed over the other with his arms folded in front of him, sporting his famous smirk.

"Yeah." I say painfully, trying to sound excited. He chuckles, walking over and grabbing my soda.

"Hey-" he cuts me off by gently holding a finger to my lips, my heart nearly stops beating.

He takes three gulps, licking his lips after.

"That's some good grape." He grins, handing it back to me, and finally allowing me to breathe.

"It's half empty." I say, rolling my eyes at him.

"How very pessimistic of you." He winks, leaving the kitchen.

- - -
"I don't know, mom, it seems a little...showy." I look down at the spaghetti strapped maroon dress my mom bought me. I loved it, but how revealing it was made my anxiety creep up my throat.

"What do you mean? You've worn tons of dresses like this one." She looked down at the dress, frowning.

"I can go get another one-"

"No it's totally fine, mom. I'll wear it." I smiled, taking the dress in my hands.

"Are you sure?"

"Yup! I love it, thanks mom." I hug her, and she smiled brightly at me.

"You're going to look stunning tonight!" She says excitedly, more to herself than to me, as she leaves my room.

I sigh, closing my door and staring dreadfully at the dress. I try it on, and it fits like a dream. It ended mid thigh, and the fine lace details still made it classy and elegant. The neckline was a little low, and the straps curved over my shoulders, meeting each other at a crossroads on my mid back.

"Wow.." I turn, gasping at Hayden, who was standing at the bathroom door, looking astonished.

"Sorry, I was just gonna close the door, but...you look amazing, Z." He smiled, his eyes almost fighting to stay on my face.

"Thanks.." I smile awkwardly, using my hair to cover up my chest, and my hands tugging at the dress self consciously to no avail.

"I mean it." He says, lingering a little longer right before closing the door.

I look back in the mirror, allowing myself to smile slightly at his words.