33.

After an excruciatingly boring ride up north, we finally arrive at the resort.

"You know what the best part of this all is?" Katie beams, looking at me with a mischievous glint in her eyes.

"That...you're here with me?" I joke, giving her a toothy grin.

"Um...sure...well I was gonna say that there isn't any supervision, but sure, Zoe." She sticks her tongue out, and I roll my eyes, flipping her off while chuckling.

"Hey ladies, excited for the weekend?"

I groan internally.

We turn around to face him, and he wiggles his eyebrows.

"You know, Zoey, you could always bunk with-"

"Truitt, no." I smile in annoyance, taking my bag and walking towards the front desk. I hear Truitt start to complain to Katie, and I sigh as I put on a smile for the lady at the reception.

"Hi, cabin 204 please."

"205 please, thanks" Truitt says simultaneously, and we look at each other, before he gives me a knowing smirk.

"Guess we're neighbors." He grins, bumping his shoulder into me.

"That should be fun.." I say sarcastically, looking at my keys, then looking over at Katie. She sees me and understands immediately, coming over.

"Hey." Katie smiles, putting her arm around my shoulder.

He gives her a tight smile, and she looks back at him with a glare. I furrow my eyebrows, looking between them.

"Got the keys?" She asks me and I nod.

"See you around, neighbor." He winks, giving me a grin.
. . .

We sat around the couch area in one of the girls' cabins, mostly in silence, soft murmurs filled the air as we warmed up in front of the small fireplace.

"Okay, time for some games." One guy gets up, Dylan I think his name was, searching his backpack.

"What do you have in mind?" Katie asks, before grinning at him as he takes a bottle of bourbon out.

"The drinking kind."

"Yes!" Truitt cheers, along with some others.

"Finally." She says, taking out her bottle.

"When did you get that?" I laugh, taking the vodka from her to examine the huge bottle.

A few people get up and leave, leaving six of us to play.

"I know people." She shrugs, opening the bottle.

After looking for some glasses, we sit in a circle.

. . .
As the night progressed, I found myself checking my phone every five minutes. Of course, always ending up disappointed.

I roll my eyes, shaking my head as I down the last of my drink. I open up a message and begin typing furiously.

Hey assface! I exist! Remember me?

"What's wrong, neighbor?" Truitt appears, sitting on the floor beside me. He leans back on the couch, pouring me another round. I lock my phone, chucking it in my pocket.

"Keep it coming." I slur slightly, sipping it and wincing. He chuckles, pouring himself more as well.

"What's on your mind?" He asks when I go quiet again. The closeness between us making me uncomfortable, I inch away.

"Nothing, sorry. So, any plans for the holidays?" I change the subject.

"Damn, I really messed things up between us, didn't I?" He looks at me with nothing but sorrow, and I sigh, looking at my drink.

"I'm sorry, I just-"

"I hurt you, and you're apologizing?" He asks, and we let out a laugh.

"We were good, but we just...grew up." I say, and he scoffs.

"Well there's also the fact I fuckin' rap-"

"Don't say it..please?" I grab his thigh, urging him to stop. He understands, smiling, placing his hand over mine.

"Remember that time we were walking to my car after the carnival-" he starts, and I immediately start laughing remembering the story. He starts laughing as well, trying to continue.

"And I dropped my ice cream-"

"And ripped your pants trying to pick it up!"  We both gasp for air, red in the face and tears brimming our eyes.

"Ooo, but nothing beats the time when I took your-"

I trail off when my phone vibrates, and my stomach does a flip, I peek down at it.

"Where are you." -H

Before I could type my reply, he starts calling me. I begin panicking, declining it.

"Dang, we're out. Let me get you another." He says, getting up drunkenly, taking my glass. I smile nervously as he turns around, then look back at my phone. He calls again, this time I pick up.

"What do you want?" I hiss, looking around.

"You're the one who's been-"

"You're an asshole!"

"I'm sor- wait are you drunk?" I could hear the judgment in his tone. I roll my eyes.

Truitt comes back, sitting down again.

"Here you go, mi'lady." He giggles, and I thank him.

"Was that Truitt?" He asks angrily, the static coating his voice, and I sigh.

"Bye." Is all I say, ending the call.

"I need some air." I say, and he laughs.

"Comin right up."

. . .

"You know...I'm actually really enjoying myself right now." I say, smiling as I stuff my hands into the pockets of my thick coat.

"You're surprised?" He asks, a hint of offense in his tone.

"Well, yeah. I missed this Truitt."

"This Truitt." He repeats.

"Yeah, the Truitt who was my best friend. Who I could talk to about anything, be weird around. All of that got lost somewhere." I talk in a daze, the harsh cold pinching at my cheeks, immediately sobering me up.

"We could still have that. Zoey I'll bring him back." He stops in front of me, taking my hands in his. He looks down at me with his puppy like brown eyes, giving me a sad smile.

"Truitt, no. It's just gonna get complicated, and-"

"And you've already got someone else." He lets go, looking anywhere but at me.

"What?" My heart increased its speed.

"I see the way you check your phone."

"I'm sorry, Tru."

"I messed up big time," He smiles, shrugging.

"And now I've gotta pay for it."

. . .

We get back to the cabin, the rest of our walk filled with light banter and giggles.

"Where did you guys go?" Katie looks us up and down, and I start taking my coat off.

"Just for a little walk, Kate." I smile, making sure she knows it was nothing more than that.

"Not to him." She mutters, glaring at Truitt before walking away.

"That was...weird." I say, starting to go after her, but Truitt stops me.

"She's just drunk."

My phone pings again, and I look at it. I stop breathing.

"I'm coming to get you."

. . .