59 - Better Him Than Me

Ryan

He called out to Lana. "Are you ready? We were supposed to be there already."

"I'm coming. Do I look all right?" She smoothed down the front of her dress.

"Lan, you always look beautiful and today is no exception."

Although it was only the twenty-third, they were going to Jack's for a family Christmas celebration. Christmas Eve on The Point meant the open house at the Evan's and Christmas Day, he and Lana would drive to Massachusetts to celebrate with her family.

Lana had no reason to be nervous about his family, but he had one big reason to dread Christmas at the Drake's - Nora. He was sure she didn't like him and now she had another reason not to. None of it mattered, as he looked around their finished cottage. It was exactly as he imagined even with only the bed and the sofa they arranged to have delivered.

Lana looked around and smiled, he knew she loved the cottage. He had confessed to her, the only reason he decided on the pool was for her. He couldn't imagine her not floating in her tube all summer. "I think I always knew I would make you mine."

"I thought you were mine!"

"Fine with me."

When they arrived at Jack's door, they were both ladened down with gifts. Allie lost one of her tasks because he and Lana shopped together. There was chaos as everyone hugged and greeted each other. After Ryan and Lana removed their coats and gloves, Ryan put his arm around Lana and Jack started teasing about how cute they were.

Ryan said, "We've already exchanged our Christmas gifts."

"What did you buy her?" Jack asked.

"Show him." Ryan looked at Lana.

She teased. "You should show him your gift."

Jack said, "What's going on?"

Kelly said, "He's up to something."

Ryan took his left hand out of his pocket and it was Rory who noticed, "Uncle Ryan married Lana!"

Ryan watched as his mother registered the words the kid said. "It was what we wanted. We love you, but neither of us wanted a wedding."

"Heidi and Cam stood up for us." Lana added with a smile.

Kelly said, "I'm not angry. I'm so glad you're happy."

Jack said, "Now I'm going to have to tell Adam. I've been avoiding telling him about you two."

John said, "Welcome to the family, Lana."

Maddie said, "You are one brave boy, Ryan. Nora Drake is going to kill you."

"No, my father and Will won't let her. Besides she made it clear she wouldn't pay for another wedding. I'll throw her own words back at her."

"Well, in that case, get busy because JP wants a cousin to play with," Jack said.

Ryan laughed, as he pulled Lana into him. He whispered for only her to hear. "Merry Christmas, Mrs. Harris. Getting banished was the best thing that happened to me."

"We should take a picture and send it to Isobel. Merry Christmas from Ryan and Lana Harris!"

"Only if we can send it to Erik and Adam too!" Ryan teased. "But seriously I'd like to tell Christina."

"After we tell Nora." Lana reminded him.

He hugged her as they joined his family. Lana was busy telling Maddie and his mother about her solo in the choir she had joined. She kept busy in the weeks leading up to Christmas and Ryan made sure he was always watching as she sang.

Smiling, he had no idea one summer on The Point would change his life. He arrived angry and hurt and along the way, he fell in love with his best friend and reconciled with his brother.

Maybe next Christmas, JP would have a little cousin.

Over Thanksgiving, Ryan had finally told Jack about his son. He watched as the shock intermingled with sadness.

Jack had looked sad. "I'm really sorry. You know Maddie and I believe Nicole helped us find each other. She gave me her baby and I'd like to think she's taking care of yours."

Ryan looked around the room at his family, then he looked up and said, "Thank you," in his head.

Adam

Adam woke on Christmas morning with Amanda's naked body pressed to his. He was content. She made him happy. In fact, he came to realize that Ryan had the right idea. Marriage and kids would just complicate life. Yup, Ryan had the right idea.

They were dressed and ready to go visit with Amanda's father when his phone chimed.

He looked at the text. "What the hell?"

"What's wrong?"

"They got married and I didn't even know. I thought they were just friends."

How did Ryan manage to get Lana? What happened to Ryan, the player?

Oh well, better him than me!

Score: Adam - 1 Ryan - 1 (I am sure many of you were hoping for Adam to be zero!) I promised some of you Adam would have the last word.

Thank you for taking this journey with me. This story has become one of my favorites.

More Ryan and Lana in Daughters. See my profile for all my stories. Please follow me so you don't miss out.

 Please follow me so you don't miss out