54 - For Good

Ryan

The last thing he wanted was to be at Isobel's beck and call all day. The only thing saving his sanity was Rita. She stepped in and distract him when she could tell he was getting frustrated with Isobel's games. Unfortunately, by the time Isobel finally left to get dressed, Lana was getting ready. Heidi texted him Lana was nervous. Ryan was afraid she might bolt, although he relaxed once he knew she made it to Virginia. His biggest fear was she wouldn't get on the plane.

As Ryan worked the room greeting donors, he kept one eye on the door. He knew a lot of eyes were watching him and Isobel. He felt like a zoo animal on display. He wanted Lana on his arm when he publically faced his former lover.

He was smiling and nodding to a couple who were raving about the silent auction items when he saw her enter. She looked around, lost, but all he could focus on was her beauty. Her long mane was pinned up and her dress was amazing. It did nothing to hide her exquisite body. Instead, it enhanced every beautiful curve. He'd have to thank Jen for taking Lana shopping.

He knew the minute she saw him, because her face relaxed and she smiled. Ryan saw more than one head turn as she moved toward him. He muttered, his excuses to the couple and rushed to meet her.

He reached out for her hand. "You look more than beautiful."

She laughed. "I feel like a princess and you're a prince. You clean up good Harris."

"How do you feel?" He was concerned she would not sing.

"Nervous and excited. Is she here?"

He nodded and she scanned the room. He couldn't point her out, but he leaned in and whispered in her ear. "Black dress over by the bar with the gray-haired man."

"Blonde?"

"Yes, but not nearly as stunning as you."

"Stop teasing me." Lana laughed nervously.

Ryan plucked two flutes off a tray as it passed by, handing one Lana. "To you my gorgeous friend."

She sipped with shaky hands. "She's coming."

Ryan put his arm around Lana's small waist and pulled her close. Lana took a generous sip and he leaned into her. "No tequila."

She slapped his shoulder and laughed. "That wasn't funny."

He smiled because truthfully he couldn't stop. He was just happy to have her near. It had been four weeks since he last saw her and he missed her. He didn't want to think about the fear lingering in his gut that she didn't feel anything for him. Just her laugh sent a pulse through his body.

His name being said interrupted her laugh. "Ryan, who is your friend?"

"Isobel, this is my Lana. Lana, Isobel."

He watched as Lana reached out her hand to shake. He'd have to thank Heidi because Lana's nails were neatly painted. No one would know she spent her summer cleaning cottages.

"Nice to meet you. Did Ryan mention you were on the planning committee for this lovely evening?"

He smirked as he imagined Lana rehearsing her line. She executed it perfectly and he let her know by lightly squeezing his hand which was firmly holding her waist. She smiled up at him.

Isobel surprised him. "So sweet, Ryan's in love." She looked at Lana. "He's really quite a catch."

Lana laughed. "His mother recently told me the same thing."

She surprised Ryan. "When did she say that?"

"When we had coffee, I told you."

"Yes, but not that you talked about me."