52 - If I had five minutes alone

Lana

If things were strange earlier, they were normal again that evening. She made him lobster mac and cheese which was a very popular dish in Maine. Oliver didn't serve it, but many other restaurants did. Their conversation was light and easy and somehow wove its way to Ryan's frustrations about dealing with Isobel.

"If only I hadn't shot off my mouth, I wouldn't feel backed against the wall."

"I never met her, but feel this hate every time you mention her." Lana confessed.

"I think you've mentioned it a time or two. If I had a dollar every time you said, 'if I had five minutes alone with her' then I'd be able to..." He laughed. "I can't think of anything, but I always imagine a cat fight."

Lana rolled her eyes and wondered why men always got worked up over two women fighting. She hoped her sharp tongue would work better than pulling hair and scratching. Her urge to protect Ryan from this woman took over her mind and without thinking through the practicalities, she said,"You can't show up alone, so if you don't have anyone else, I could maybe go. We could pretend to be a couple and show her you have moved on."

"You would do that? I wanted to ask you, but didn't think you would agree."

"I always planned to make a trip to see the baby, but then Heidi came to see me. Still, I could fly down and..."

"I'll pay for everything... your plane ticket, your dress."

"No! That would make me just like her!"

"You could never be like her." He assured her. "I would give you every credit card in my wallet and trust you with them."

"There is this winter coat I've been eyeing in the Bean catalog." She teased although it was true. She loved it, but it was too pricey for her. She was planning to put it on her Christmas list for Santa. She learned it was best to give her mother a list, or she'd end up with things she had no use for including clothing she would never dream of wearing.

"Sorry I was dreaming of all the things I could buy with your credit cards." She winked, and he laughed. "Seriously, I'm not poor. I'm more concerned about finding something appropriate, although there is one person on The Point who has the expertise to help me."

"Who?"

"Jen."

"But interior design is different than fashion design."

"Yes, but she was part of New York's elite before she moved back to marry Alex."

"Seriously?" Ryan asked in disbelief.

"Oh yes, let's see if she still graces the internet. Here she is with her ex-husband and here she is with her sister-in-law."

Ryan

Ryan looked at the woman he knew as a girl and now as a wife and mother. It was hard to believe someone could change so much. She must have really been in love to have given up her life to come back to Maine. Rarely had he seen her wear anything other than shorts all summer. This morning she was wearing jeans and a shirt which looked like it might have belonged to Alex.

"I think it sounds like a good idea to ask her." His voice was confident.

It relieved him to have a date and it was the one person he wanted to spend time with. He was enjoying his evening until her phone rang. It was late, almost eleven when she answered Ryan knew it was him.

"I asked for the night off... Why would I tell you?... I have a friend visiting... No one you know... Absolutely not... Good night... Good night Erik."

Ryan looked at her. "I don't care if you deny it, he wants you back."