44 - There's no room for me

Ryan

Ryan had wanted to go see Lana on Thursday afternoon but decided against it. He went to see Jack and had dinner with his parents. He started to feel out of sorts like he had overstayed his welcome and needed to get home.

Even though it was none of his business, he didn't like that Lana spent the night with her ex. He remembered the night she was so upset with him and realized that her powerful emotion probably came from love. There was a very fine line between love and hate. He didn't want her to get hurt again. He felt guilty because he was responsible for her being hurt a few short weeks before. He might have convinced everyone he didn't know about Adam and the girl, but he knew when he saw his scratched back. He just turned a blind eye and hoped Adam would dump the other girl, because really why would he ever dump Lana?

Ryan had never had a friend like Lana. Heidi was different because she was with Cam. Still, he was going back to Virginia and was sure Lana would go on with her life and other than updates on his cottage they would lose touch until next summer. By then, she would probably be with Erik again and adopting or pregnant with donor sperm or whatever method they chose. He was certain if Erik wanted Lana back he would agree to anything. After all, what guy wouldn't?

By Friday afternoon, he had packed up and said goodbye to everyone, but Lana. She was cleaning a cottage on Puffin Way. He walked down to the beach for one last look before he went to find her. The door was open, and he lightly knocked and called her before entering. He heard her before he saw her. She was belting out a song he didn't recognize, but he stood and listened to her wishing she could be his talent.

When she turned and saw him she jumped. "I'm sorry. You sounded amazing. What were you singing?"

"Just a song from Wicked." She spoke a different language. "It's a Broadway musical. The voice of Elsa starred in the original cast."

"Do I know an Elsa?"

"Oh forget it, Jack might, but Peter most definitely does. She's from Frozen one of Disney's most popular movies. You know Let it go, Let it go Can't hold it back anymore." She sang. He shook his head, and she sighed. "Why do I bother?"

He shrugged."I can't believe this is goodbye."

"Every summer ends. I used to be the one leaving, but now I stay and say goodbye. You can't get rid of me, because I'll be in touch about the cottage. I'll send pictures."

"Send me your bill." They had discussed this and Lana was resisting Ryan paying her, but he insisted. "If you don't I'll ask my father to do the job for you. He will be bored soon, I guarantee it."

"You'll be surprised. September is a beautiful month in Maine."

He liked she was smiling and felt better after her hangover. "I'm glad to see you've recovered. What did you drink anyway?"

"Wine and then I got into some Sambuca."

Ryan made a face. "You need to learn to stay away from anything sold in a clear bottle."

"I'm never drinking again."

"Okay, you do that." He laughed. "I guess I need to go to get to the game on time."

"I can't believe you are going to hang out with my brother."

"To watch him play after spending the summer acting as his QB. Hey, thanks for everything this summer."

He felt a little awkward, but he held out his arms and she walked into his embrace. She smelled nice and feminine.

"Thanks for being my friend when I needed one."