56 - Dessert

Ryan

She sang for him!

"I need to go back in until after the auction is over."

Ryan didn't want to be there anymore, but he had obligations. Lana didn't leave his side as he helped close out the auction and collect payment from the highest bidders. He was pleased the week at his cottage he had offered earned a decent donation. The lucky bidder was another of his former clients. He hoped the night would be a turning point for his reputation. As they tried to leave, acquaintances wanting to meet Lana waylaid them.

Someone asked how long they had been a couple. "We found each other this summer." Lana's eyes met his as she smiled.

Cam and Heidi had left, but Allie was still on the dance floor.

He tightened his grip on Lana's hand as Isobel approach. She smiled. "You were wonderful. Why Ryan had me worried when he had a talent like you?"

"The truth is Ryan never asked me. He knew I had given up performing. I volunteered because I knew it would make him happy." She turned to Ryan. "Did I make you happy?"

"Indescribably." He kissed her chastely on the lips in front of Isobel. He wanted Isobel to know he had moved on.

"So is she the reason you were hiding away all summer?"

"Absolutely, because of Lana, I had the best summer of my life."

Thankfully, Isobel walked away and Ryan smiled at Lana. "Has all this been an act for her?"

Ryan knew she didn't believe him, but he was prepared to convince her.

"No, what I'm feeling is completely real."

Lana

She sat nervous in his car. "I just want to talk to you. I'm not expecting."

"I know. I texted Heidi. I told her since it was so late, I was staying with you. She knows we're just friends."

"I don't want to be just friends!"

Ryan's words made her stomach flip, but as much as she thought she loved him, it didn't matter because they didn't want the same things. Their friendship was too important. They had almost lost it once.

"You've always been so adamant about what you didn't want."

"I know and I owe you an explanation."

They sat in silence as he drove. She was excited to see where he lived. His condo was a townhouse, and it looked fairly new. His decor was what she imagined with leather and masculine colors. She wondered what Jen would say if she saw it.

"Drink?" She shook her head. "Ice cream?" He smiled.

She thought for a moment. "What kind?"

"Chocolate."

"Maybe a little." Ryan knew she loved ice cream. He dished out a bowlful and sat down next to her with two spoons. "Are you short on bowls?"

"I want to share everything with you."

He was deadly serious. She never imagined she would hear Ryan talk this way. They ate and she waited for him to tell his story. He looked at her and reached out and wiped the ice cream off her lip with his thumb and put it in his mouth and sucked it. Her breath caught. She took another bite, and he reached up again. Instead of wiping her lip he put his hand behind her neck and pulled her to him. He sucked the ice cream off her lip and continued kissing her. She felt light-headed as she took in his chocolate taste. His lips moved gently over hers and she never wanted them to part.