51 - Loved not love

Ryan

His alarm woke him early, and he dressed for his run. He assumed Lana was still asleep when he left to meet Jack.

They both exchanged their customary greeting. "Hey."

"No, Peter?"

"No, he's on a different schedule on weekends. Not me since Maddie has to work."

They ran in silence until Jack broke it. "What's the story with you and Lana?"

"We're friends, nothing more."

"Like me and Maddie?"

"No, like friends not like you two who ended up with a baby. If you're so perfect, how did that happen?" Ryan asked, successfully deflecting Jack's third degree.

"You know, I never said I was perfect. Maddie will tell you I'm not, but I need to get home. Later."

Ryan watched him run off, as he entered The Landing. Rick greeted him and he felt as if he had come home. Lana wasn't there, so he bought two coffees, took a seat, and called her.

"I'm on my way."

"I have coffee."

"Is it as good as you remembered?"

"Better."

"Hi." She spoke into the phone, but she was standing in front of him. She hung up and slid into the seat across from him.

Still beautiful, he thought.

"When are you meeting with Alex?"

"In about a half hour."

"Are you planning to see your mom?"

"I'd like to."

"Do you want my car?"

"Nah, I can walk. Don't you need to shop, so you can cook me dinner?"

"Nope. I'll wait for my tutor."

"Oh man, why did I volunteer?"

"Why did I take this class?"

"You'll get it." He wasn't sure if he believed it, but he would not tell her.

Lana

While Ryan met with Alex, she went for a walk and then home to shower. By the time she was out of the shower, Ryan was back. She dressed before stepping out of the bathroom, which was good because he was waiting for her.

"After I shower, do you want to walk over to the cottage with me?"

She had stopped by the day before but agreed. She waited while he showered and felt disappointed when he too dressed in the bathroom. She had seen him shirtless more times than she could count in the pool, but the thought of his skin smelling like soap and the scent of his shaving products which filled the air differed from swim time. She had been keeping herself occupied by cleaning although nothing needed it. He made his bed, but she smoothed it. She had wiped down the kitchen and was dusting the living room when he came out of the bathroom.

He looked at her with a strange expression and she worried he could read her thoughts about how sexy she thought he was. More than once she had thought if only one night would be enough for her, but she knew it would ruin everything.

"Take a picture it will last longer."

A slow smile came across his face and brightened it up. "I was just enjoying your singing."

"My... oh right... I was singing." She always sang as she worked. If other people were around, she sang in her head. It was such a part of her she didn't even realize she was doing it. She sang everything from pop to rock to country, but lately, she had been on a musical kick. She had never seen a show in New York or even Boston, but greater Portland had a lot of theaters. She even liked to go to the high school productions just so she could enjoy a good show and remember back to her own theater days.